Help with Photos from iPhoto

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sailguy, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Sailguy macrumors newbie

So, I got my new Ipad 2 and although I've only used it for a few hours, I'm totally excited.

However, I'm having trouble with one thing and although I tried searching via google and on this forum for an answer, I haven't found anything that works.

I have lots of photos I want to transfer from iPhoto to the device via iTunes syncing. Whenever I try to sync, it always tells me I've run out of room and it cuts off, yet I still have almost 20gigs of free space left. I've even deleted my iPod photo cache file to see if that would solve it, reload the photos, but the same thing happens again.

Is there a solution so I can get all of my photos synced? I think I have plenty of room, but it still won't let me. See pic below.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    you think you have enough room? Maybe you don't. that's why none of it transferred. I think iTunes does a check to make sure you have enough room before you begin transferring anything. Have you tried only transferring a small section of your photos?

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Sorry, but, I do believe that one of the glitches with an iPad is that you cannot "Backward Sync" photos from iPhoto to the iPad. It works only the other way around, from the iPad to iPhotos.

Perhaps someone can suggest a work around, like using Drop Box or e-mailing them to yourself etc, but that would only work with a small number of photos.

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

are you joking? You think it's not possible to sync photo's to the iPad? How would that be possible? That would be a bit more known...

Anyway, I was able to transfer all my photo's to my iPad no problem

5. Sailguy thread starter macrumors newbie

All of my photos are under 1mb in size with a significant # of them under 500kb. If I have 11,000 photos, that should be a max of 11gigs (or significantly less), right?

When I open the Iphoto "package" through finder, it says I have less than 5 gigs of photos (original and modified).

If math is correct and I have 20gigs of free space, why wouldn't they transfer?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

No idea really. What I would try is to start syncing my photos in chunks. See if I can sync a chunk of photos, or maybe a single photo. Then keep adding chunks to see if you can eventually add them all. Maybe there is one "problem" photo that you can pinpoint through this "chunks" method.

If I can't sync any photos at all no matter how I break them up, I would try restoring my iPad as a new device. Then try syncing the photos. Maybe try syncing ONLY the photos and deselecting everything else.

These are just the steps I would take, I have no idea if they will actually help you. Just play around with things and troubleshoot different aspects yourself. Hope this helps