Help with Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MiamiC70, Apr 9, 2015.

1. MiamiC70 macrumors regular

I finally took the plunge and upgraded yesterday to Photos. Now I am confused and have a few questions / concerns. I am not confident enough to trust iCloud yet but am trying Photos locally.

However, after conversion to Photos my iPhoto library is 38.71GB yet my new Photos library is 24.26GB. (See attatchment with screen shot)
    Short of going one by one how can I with confidence know all my photos have in fact been transferred over?

2. TETENAL macrumors member

iPhoto shows an item count, and you can create a smart album with videos, so you can deduce the count of photos and videos. Photo shows the photos and videos count separately. So can check whether everything was imported.

I have actually 4 photos more in the imported Photos library than I had in iPhoto, despite the fact that the Photos library is somewhat smaller (which I assume is due to smaller caches files). There is no way I could figure out which these extra 4 photos are.

3. MiamiC70 thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

I guess Photos only updates when app is open but does not indicate if finished or not just does it's thing in background. So, I left it open and now iPhoto shows same 38.71GB but Photos shows 35.98GB and seems to have finished. Better but still significantly smaller?