Help with Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Apple_Glen_UK, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Apple_Glen_UK macrumors newbie

Apple_Glen_UK

First time poster here - please go easy on me!

A few weeks ago I purchased a MacBook Pro (early 2015) - the first Apple product I've ever bought. So far I'm loving it but there is one thing really frustrating me which I'm hoping someone can help with.

I only really want my MBP for music, storing my photos and using the internet. Internet & iTunes - no problem there. However, I cannot get Photos to work as I want it.

If I plug my camera into my MacBook and import photos into Photos they display the correct dates & times photos were taken. However, I have approximately 6,000 old photos on an external hard drive that I want to import to Photos but it displays all of them with a date taken of 2nd September 2013 which I believe is when I put them onto my hard drive.

Is there a way around this? I know that there's a section where you can adjust date & time, but I am not doing that for 6,000 photos! If I can't get Photos to do what I want it to I will use an alternative app. I am not interested in sharing or editing photos. I just want a basic app that will allow me to view my photos (and video clips from my camera). I have read about Xee, amongst others. Are there any other apps out there that could do what I require?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm unclear... so you have not imported these photos into Photo yet? How then do you know they are going to sort by the wrong date? You might try importing just 50 or so to see if the date sorts correctly.

3. Apple_Glen_UK thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple_Glen_UK

I tried importing a small amount but all showed the date taken as 2nd September 2013. As an experiment I downloaded Picasa and tried importing the same photos in to that and they all displayed the correct dates/times in Picasa. The thing is I would quite like to use Photos as I like it's clear and simple view.

I am not sure why Photos can't display the correct dates/times. Is there perhaps an app/program that I could dump my 6,000 photos into and from there import into Photos?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... I see. Odd. What happens if you select one of the photos and hit command-i to get info... what dates do you see win this section?

Screen_Shot_2015-10-26_at_8_33_32_AM.png

5. Apple_Glen_UK thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple_Glen_UK

If I do command-i to one of my old photos in Photos it states at the top '2nd September 2013'. However, when I do the same thing in the folder in Finder it states at the top 'Modified: Friday 6th July 2007 8:06pm', which is the correct date & time.

This has been puzzling me and driving me crazy for three weeks now. I just cannot find a solution. Are there any other basic - easy-to-use - photo viewers out there? As long as I can view my photos (and a few video clips taken on camera) in chronological order I'll be happy!

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What is the created date on those files in Finder? I would think that is what Photos would use.

If you just want view some photos, the included OS X app Preview will do a pretty good job of that for you.

7. Apple_Glen_UK thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple_Glen_UK

The created date says it is 2nd September 2013. I know that that is incorrect though and when I import the same photos into Picasa they all come out in order with the correct dates and times. How come Photos can't manage this?

I am still learning my MacBook and its ways but I think Preview looks a little too basic. I'd just like something where I can create some albums and have all photos in date order. I've heard about Lightroom, Xee and Sequential amongst others. Would any of those allow me to play my short video clips too do you know?

Thank you for your help btw.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... I have no idea what is going on there. I don't have this issue at all with Photos. I have read others like Xee. Lightroom seems like maybe overkill for your basic needs. Heck, if Picasa is working for you, just run with that. :)