Help with play music to my Stereo Wirelessly

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacRacer, Sep 16, 2008.

1. MacRacer macrumors regular

I had a friend who has a old G4 Powerbook. He can play music to his stereo wirelessly. I looked into is and only found the Airport Express is the only way to put music to his stereo. AND he isn't using a airport express. I seen the box but don't know what it is. it is black. My question is there any device to which I can play my music wirelessly and that is compatible with Mac OS X and Windows XP, which both are using itunes 8, and it isn't an $100 Airport Express?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are a couple routers that have the same function.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you want that iTunes to allow you to select airtunes you will need the AE. But if all you need is "wireless" then a simple analog, low power FM transmitter will do fine. Most stereo equipment already has an FM receiver so you need nothing else on that end.

There are some products that compete with the AE and take the digital data from a network but none for less then the price of an AE. Apple refurb store has the AE for $79.

4. zxcvb macrumors regular

zxcvb

my concern is that AE can only play itunes music, not even vid on itunes which is a big fuss! then you have to keep plugging and unplugging your speaker if you want audio other than itunes such as youtube!

5. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

An FM transmitter would work and it would be the cheapest, and I do like playing videos off of YouTube and other sites. I might go that direction.