Help with playing .AVI files?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by davla, Dec 5, 2008.

1. davla macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how I can play .AVI files on my macbook (Leopard) please. Quicktime and RealPlayer don't seem to want to know, they just play out in black. I would also like to know how I can convert them to import them into iMOVIE or iDVD.

Thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

4. bfulkerth macrumors newbie

VADO hd

Does anyone have any angles on the upcoming Creative Vado HD? The specs show Windows only. Any thoughts on getting picture files onto my iMac and manipulating them from there?

I don't know what video format the device will use. Does anyone?

Bob :confused:

5. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

+1

6. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

This is a short way of saying that Quicktime and Macs DO support AVI playback, but only if you have the codec used to create the movie. AVIs are file containers, not codecs. Unlike, say, a WMV, the .avi extension indicates the "wrapper" around a media file.

The easiest way to know which codec is used is to open the AVI in QT player and open the Get Info window. It should be listed under "video". Then just Google the codec name and find the Mac version. There are some older codecs that are Windows-only, but if you get Perian you'll be covered for all of the really common ones.