Help with playing iPhone music through car

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JagsFan829, Mar 1, 2012.

1. JagsFan829 macrumors member

JagsFan829

I purchased a 2012 Honda Fit not too long ago.. it has a little black cord that plugs into the USB portion of the white charger cord for my iPhone 4.. obviously the other end plugs into the phone! This enables me to hit the "aux" button the car and it'll play podcasts, music, etc. through my speakers.

The only problem is when I want to play my music. I have to unplug the phone, select the album, hit play, and THEN plug in the phone. Otherwise it plays the same random tracks in the same order from random artists. When I click "Music" while plugged in, it just shows a grayed out message and doesn't allow me to select anything. Kind of weird.

Is there any solution to this? Maybe an app I can download to allow me to select the music WHILE it's plugged in?

It's just annoying! And no, I don't have bluetooth options in my car! I was trying to keep my purchase on the cheap!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

2. normanbates macrumors regular

Check the stereo manufacturer's handbook. It should say "Made for iPhone" or "Works with iPhone", or iPod instead of iPhone of course.

If it does not say that anywhere in the instruction manual (usually on the front cover) then it is likely it doesn't support it properly

3. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what your audio panel looks like, but on my 2011 Civic, there are two knobs--the left one for the volume, the right one for controlling music selection. If you push the button of the knob, it shows you how it's organizing your iPhone's music. By default, it just organizes it by individual songs.

After the first time you push the button, you have a couple of seconds in the organization menu. Here you can turn the knob to change that organizational setting. From there, you can select Playlists, Artists, Albums. (I would note that Podcasts show up under Albums). After you highlight your preferred method of organization, just push the knob button again (or just let it disappear on its own.)

Now, how say you want to select a specific playlist. Given that you selected the playlist organization, WITHOUT pressing anything, just turn that same knob. Your playlists will be organized in alphabetical order. After you highlight the desired playlist, you can either press the face button on the knob, or let it just disappear. At that point, it will begin playing the playlist you chose.

Edit: Of course AFTER i write this message out, I googled what the Honda Fit interior looks like, and yeah, your audio system looks very little like mine. Haha. Anyway, the 2012 Honda Fit is designed to work with your iPhone, I do know that. The mode of operation may be similar.

4. JagsFan829 thread starter macrumors member

JagsFan829

Thanks. I'll play around with it some more. It's just fine to stream videos/audio, but using the "Music" app is frustrating. Oh well.