Help with plugging iPhone 5S into iMac via mic jack

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sam Spade, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Sam Spade macrumors regular

I would like to plug my iPhone into my 27" iMac (Late 2013) via the mic jack and play audio from the iPhone through the iMac's speakers. Is this possible?

I've got the phone connected to the iMac, but I cannot figure out how to get the sound to play through the iMac's speakers. When the file plays, I just get silence.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I just can't see why you would want to do this, presumably your music is in itunes on your mac just play it from there. If it's not just put it on your mac and play it from itunes.

3. Sam Spade thread starter macrumors regular

Because I'm not trying to play music from iTunes.

4. djbite macrumors newbie

He may not want to store his library on his iMac or he may have separate libraries. Im sure there is a good reason

1. You should be able to plug in via USB and play iTunes tracks stored on your iPhone via iTunes on your iMac without having to add them to the library. Once its plugged in you can click on the device and play the music from there.

2. i get the feeling that may to be what your looking to do though. Can anyone help him direct mic input to the speakers of an iMac. Windows can do this

5. djbite macrumors newbie

6. djbite macrumors newbie

Hey!....would this mean you could effectively stream any input to airplay speakers???

7. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Try LineIn which is a free download.

Edit: djbite beat me to it!