help with possible accident damage and warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by roter9314, Mar 16, 2010.

1. roter9314 macrumors newbie

My iphone has recently acquired the nasty habit of randomly switching to the black screen with apple icon. It will stay on this screen, rendering it unusable, for anywhere from 5-20 minutes. It also occasionally has switched to this screen and then switched back and forth from off mode to the apple screen. the only way to fix it when this happens is to completely restore the thing, which I've now had to do at lease 10 times in less than two weeks. I also have been experiencing an issue where i have to press the home button a few times before it wakes up from sleep for about two months now.
    I should now mention that about a week before all of this started happening, my phone underwent a SERIOUS drop. It was a freak accident that couldn't have been avoided and it's the only time I've dropped my phone. Luckily, there was no visible damage done thanks to my AMAZING case from Otterbox.
    Im not sure if the damage is from the drop or not, since i had been experiencing the last of the issues listed above for a good while before the drop and did not experience the other issues for a decent amount of time after the drop. I am planning on sending the Iphone in for advanced replacement, however I am aware they test for drops. I have already checked for water damage and as I suspected the phone has none. I am wondering if there is a way to check for the drop damage myself before sending it in? I do not want to be sketchy and not let them know about the drop, but I do not want to get denied from advanced replacement over the phone by telling them if the damage is not even due to the drop.
    I'm also wondering if it would be better for me to wait and go to an apple or at&t store and inquire about this. I would not be able to for a month or two since I am away at school and without a car (or a nearby apple or at&t store), so it would be a decent amount of time before I could go this route. However I have heard many stories from posts on forums like these of merciful apple employees who write up the case as a manufacturer-defect, especially if the phone is in good condition (mine looks brand new as it is always in the case). ANy advice would be much appreciated!

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

As far as I know, there's no way for them to know if it was dropped unless you tell them or there's physical signs of it. The only thing I've ever seen checked before warranty replacements has been the moisture sensors.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to deny you a replacement. I suggest taking video of the behavior in question though. Wouldn't want to get there after all that time waiting and have your phone decide not to act up while you're there. Happens all the time.

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

dont worry about it lostprophet is correct. if there is no signs of visable damage you are good to go. they check for water damage and see if it has been taken apart before by checking to see if the screws are stripped, or if the do not remove sticker has been removed, or if the touchscreen or lcd have been replaced in addition to the water damage sensors in the headphone jack, charging port, and on the logic board.

4. Skinfaxi macrumors member

This is a recent thread so I thought I'd bump it with my question without wasting space on a new thread. My headphone water sticker is white, but the one near the dock connector is pink. The phone shows zero electrical issues that could be caused by water damage. The vibrate switch fell off, and there is dust under the screen. Will apple refuse to replace it because of the (unrelated) pink sticker?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Probably, but it depends on the Genius. If they refuse, you can always pay $199 for a replacement due to water damage.

6. Skinfaxi macrumors member

Hmmm... well I got a replacement in the mail and my old one is being sent back (don't live close to a store)

We'll see what they say.

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

be prepared to have $199 charged to your credit card!

8. Skinfaxi macrumors member

Actually, it went through smoothly. They removed the hold on my card and said everything was all set. It was probably because even though the sticker was pink, my phone didn't actually have water damage. It functioned 100%. I sent it back for different reasons.