Help with post purchase issues...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tonhe, Oct 21, 2008.

1. tonhe macrumors newbie

Ok, so, after the announcement, I was pretty disappointed in seeing that they didn't release the redesigned 17" MBP... and becaue of this, I decided to buy a refurbished 15" MBP and sell it next year after the 17s come out...

Anyway, I purchased a 15" MBP 2.5ghz 2gb Glossy, etc.. for $1500, and yesterday (Monday) it arrived at my door. With a deep scratch on the front, and something isn't right with the front, top area by the trackpad button... its, "puffy" there..

So, today I called Apple, I have a few options, and none of them are perfect. They're out of refurbed 15" 2.5ghz w/glossy displays (yes, I do like glossy) They have a slower one, but I certainly don't want to downgrade. The only 2.6 they have isnt glossy. And the only glossy 17s they have are the low res screens. (What do you 17" owners like? (high/low res) I'm going to go look at a high res one tomorrow and see if I like it.. I imagine I will)

Anyway, Apple has offered to give me a discount on an upgraded model for the trouble... I'm not sure if they would extend this to the brand new MBPs but they're a little expensive to begin with... that and I'm worried about buying a 1st gen redesigned product from apple. (I've been warned against this) So, basically, I'm just looking for some advice, what would you guys do??

FYI, this is my first Apple, I'm a network engineer and this is my home/work pc. I run a bunch of VMs, 8-10 routers, windows (for visio), etc. I also do photo editing, and 3d landscapes, dvd ripping, burning, etc.. I also purchased a 320gb 7,200 rpm drive, and 4gb of memory to put into the new machine.. (yes, I know I'll have to switch the drive back out before any warranty stuff, not a problem (mind you I say this BEFORE having attempted taking this thing apart))

Thanks for the help,

Tony

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

First you say this:

Then you this:

Logically the two statements don't jibe with each other. In the first instance you imply you would have bought a 1st gen redesigned 17" MPB, if Apple had announced it, and in the second, that you want to avoid a 1st gen product. The irony is the bum laptop you received was not a 1st gen. Personally, I think the "avoid the 1st gen" is nonsensical baloney. People who say this for get that issues in succeeding generations have just as many issues as their 1st gen kin.

If you are only going to keep the refurb for a year then why be so anxious about wether it is glossy or not? Pick the spec most important to you, speed, size, screen type, and compromise with the rest. That, or buy a new model, or buy no model at all are your only choices.

3. tonhe thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I should of been more clear. The advice I received about buying a 1st generation product was after they announcement. Like I said, this is my fist Mac computer, but I have a friend that has been using them for a decade or so and that was his advice to me. His concern was waiting until Apple gets feedback from the community on whats wrong and making a revision change... he cited an example to me of the 1st gen iMac he has (not sure if its the crt or lcd model), but apparently they didn't have a door for memory upgrades at first ? But his Rev C model does ? Like I said, I'm not 100% sure.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I've owned over two dozen Macs since 1988. Some were 1st gen models, others the last model of the line. In my experience the "don't by the 1st gen" is a myth carried over from the auto industry. Computers are different because every single revision has different parts than its predecessor in one way or multiple. So in a way, every computer model is a 1st gen.

Here is another way to look at the "1st gen" myth. Take the PowerBook G4. Now if the "1st gen" rule held true then the first model would probably have a few problems but the final model made should have none. But that was not the case. The first model actually had few issues, and the last had a widespread "milky" screen issue.

So again, my advice is to ignore what generation a computer is and pick the model that suits you best.

5. darcytu macrumors newbie

All of my Macs have been first generation (since 1993), and only one had an issue (the loud fan ran all the time). It was replaced quickly with a new one. They have all lasted for years without any problems. That's why I keep buying them!

6. tonhe thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess my major issue right now with buying one of the new MBPs is that they don't have a newly designed 17. Which is really what I want, and I do not want to pay full price for one, when I just want to resell it for a new 17" MBP in 6 months.