Help With Power Mac OS X? Windows?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by camaddlev, Feb 9, 2013.

1. camaddlev macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy an Apple Power Mac G5 Desktop M9393LL/A (Dual 1.8-GHz PowerPC G5, 512 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, DVD-R/CD-RW Drive)

IBM PowerPC G5 Processor 1.8GHz
    512MBDDR RAM
    160GB Hard Drive
    GeForce FX 5200
    Mac OS X 10.3
    2 Processors (both 64 bit)

I am in college and would like to run bootcamp with windows 8 along with the most current mac software possible (or the best software for windows 8 bootcamp). What software would that be and would I be able to run windows 8? Also, so use this Power Mac with wifi, so I need a specific "card" or is it already able to use wifi. Sorry I am not technologically advanced (as noted by my lack of tech diction), but thank-you in advance for any help. PS: is this a fast computer?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PowerMacs cannot run Windows via Boot Camp. To run Windows 8 within Boot Camp, you need a Mac that can run Mountain Lion. The closest thing to a PowerMac that can run Mountain Lion, would be the Mac Pro 3,1 or newer.

3. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

By today's standards that's a very slow computer. Even if you're getting it for free you'd be better of spending a few hundred dollars on a more-recent Intel-based machine.

4. camaddlev thread starter macrumors newbie

can't OS X leopard run on a power mac and leopard can run bootcamp?

----------

and if not, what would be the most inexpensive option to run windows 8 via bootcamp on a mac device?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, a PowerMac can run Leopard. Yes, Leopard has Boot Camp that allows Windows on Macs. But PowerMacs do not have Intell CPUs, they have PowerPC CPUs that are incompatible with Windows. Lastly, Leopard's version of Boot Camp is far too old to be able to work with Windows 8. Apple has not yet released drivers for Windows 8, but they will be soon and only for Macs running Mountain Lion. The oldest and cheapest Mountain Lion compatible Mac is the mid-2007 iMac. They go for about $300-$500.