Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amyinnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
So i found my old nikon coolpix 5700. Took a bunch of pics with it of my boys soccer game today. Came home, installed the Nikon View CD, said installed successfully, but when I hook the camera to my Mac, nothing happens. I cant get it to read the photos. HELP!?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
So i found my old nikon coolpix 5700. Took a bunch of pics with it of my boys soccer game today. Came home, installed the Nikon View CD, said installed successfully, but when I hook the camera to my Mac, nothing happens. I cant get it to read the photos. HELP!?

When you open iPhoto and go into preferences, does it have "open iPhoto" selected next to the "Connecting camera opens" dialog box? You might have unchecked that at some point and it just needs to be checked.

Otherwise, if the photos are stored on a SD card, then use a SD card reader to do it. If you don't have one of those, maybe you have a printer with a media card reader on it that will also work.

amyinnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
yes open iphoto is checked..i get my photos off my iphone or my small pocket camera no problem...
It is a rather large SD card, but I dont have a card reader

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
yes open iphoto is checked..i get my photos off my iphone or my small pocket camera no problem...
It is a rather large SD card, but I dont have a card reader

I think you have a compact flash card as opposed to a SD card. Do you have a printer with a card reader?

When you connect the camera, does anything show up in Finder, or does the PB not mount anything at all?

amyinnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
yea it is a compact flash. Printer has no reader. nothing happens at all when i plug the camera in :(

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
yea it is a compact flash. Printer has no reader. nothing happens at all when i plug the camera in :(

well that's lame. Did you restart the PB after installing the software for the camera? Did you shut the camera on an off? You never know because that might work. I remember having issues a couple of times with my iPhone 3GS not being recognized at first and then simply restarting both of them made the syncing work perfectly.

amyinnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
yea i did all that..will try it again tho. Maybe the cord is bad?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

It's possible I suppose. If you have any other cords that you could test it with, that would be a good test, but otherwise, I would try to find something that has a compact flash card reader in it. Even if you had an older PS3, an older Windows-based tower, that could work as a workaround.

Other than that though, I'm afraid that I can't help you very much.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

Another thing you could do is go and buy an external media card reader. It's not the most enjoyable thing to do when you should be able to sync over the included cable, but at least this way you'll have it for any machine you decide to import the photos to and won't have to worry about downloading and installing software for it.

I use a usb media card reader for my photos and have actually never used the cable to connect to my camera.

Barnz63

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Missouri
Did you try opening the Image Capture app? You can find it in either Applications or Utilities.

It usually shows what cameras are attached and the photos. It will let you import selected or all photos.

amyinnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Did you try opening the Image Capture app? You can find it in either Applications or Utilities.

It usually shows what cameras are attached and the photos. It will let you import selected or all photos.

I did and it says no device connected..maybe the cord is bad? Who knows..so frustrating..have to get a card reader and try that..otherwise i dont know what else to try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.