Help with powerbook sleep issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mohicanspap, Apr 28, 2009.

1. mohicanspap macrumors regular

I have a PowerBook G4 1.67GHz 2GB memory and I have that issue which it seems that many powerbooks have. It constantly goes into sleep mode maybe every 2 min. And I read that it is a power management failure. I have tried many thing to resolve this problem by resetting the PRAM, booting into single user mode to do a permission verification and no still no luck. Now I have also heard the a main problem that causes the computer to do this is that the trackpad temperature sensor malfunctions and tell the computer to go to sleep due to an overheat. But the computer is not overheating. Whiles searching for a solution I came across a tutorial on how to disconnect the trackpads sensor. I was just wondering if this is safe and will it cause any future problems. Also if anyone has this tutorial please inform me where to get this via a website or anywhere. Any comments or responses will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    -Craig

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I know you've done all these resets but did you reset SMC or PMU? You didn't list it so just making sure. PMU/SMC controls the sleep/wake so wanted to clarify that you did or didn't.

3. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I did

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

This might be a stretch but have you tried to reinstall OS X? Create a new user? It looks like it might be hardware related (PowerBook is getting up there in age) but wouldn't hurt to rule out software.

5. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good to me I was actually going to try a re-install soon and since I have Timemachine set up it should'nt be too difficult. Thanks for your help

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No problem. Please update once you've done the reinstall. Hopefully that fixes it, if not we can go from there.

7. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

Huh...Turns out that my problem could be a hardware issue due to my extremely piece of S#!&^ battery. I never got a chance to properly calibrate my battery so when I ran my computer with just the battery and not plugged into the AC adapter I only get about 2 min worth of life time. This is just a minor fix and everything "so far" seems to be fine. I hope that I have solved this annoyance and since I only use my powerbook while plugged in I will not miss the battery's extra weight at all :) Just to let you know my battery was extremely bad. When plugged in, it would only charge up to 98% and my dashboard widget iStatsPro would say that my battery was healthy and fully charged and had also gone through only 67 cycles HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! So lets hope that this power management failure was due to my crapped out battery. :D

P.S.
    Thank for your help iLog.Genius

8. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

NO LUCK :(

Just this morning it started to randomly sleep again. I guess I will have to take it to the Apple Store and see if they can diagnose the problem for me or perhaps fix it. :(

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Unfortunately, looks like it's hardware related - PowerBook had to give up sometime but do go see someone and see what they say. Hopefully any repairs needed isn't expensive.