help with powermac hangs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by powermi, Jan 3, 2014.

1. powermi macrumors regular

I have a dual 1 ghz quicksilver purchased few weeks ago, and i am having several hangs in different situations, and not all the time, have try different ram modules on different slots, and the problem seems to be the same. Not every day, but the screen becomes grey and ask you to reboot. sometimes is just afer start the machine and other time after work for a while.
    i leave some info to see if anyone could help me, thanks a lot.

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Without trying to decipher the log, sometimes this kind of thing points to a corrupt installation of OS X.

Usually that's because the hard drive is failing or a bad ram stick.Since you've checked ram, I would suggest checking the hard drive. Boot from your install disk, go to the Utilities menu and open Disk Utility. Repair the disk, then repair permissions.

You may want to track down a copy of DiskWarrior and use that too.

This is where I would start anyway. If after repair (Disk Utility and/or Diskwarrior) you still have issues then of course, it's something else. But that's where I'd start.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

Powermi,

I'm not an expert, but it looks like you're having a problem with a SATA card and the driver (I think). I had a QS but sold it not too long after getting it cleaned and set up.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I second the motion that the SATA card or drivers for it are causing the problem.

5. powermi thread starter macrumors regular

i have a esata pci card that is linked to a esata to sata slot adapter, to run the WD Velociraptor, perhaps i shloud try to make a copy from the HD to a PATA one to look if the problem is with the esata card. the card is one from Lacie designed for PC and MAC, and supports booting, i have another one working good on another Gigabitethernet PowerMac. i have try the same hardware changing the motherboard, and the problem still remains, so i could discard the ram slot fail. i also test the Velociraptor and seems to be on perfect state.
    Thanks a lot.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have had problems with a low quality mouse and keyboard giving KPs on my G5. Check it out.