Help with preference panes please!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr. Funsocks, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Mr. Funsocks macrumors regular

Alright so here's the deal. I'm taking a design block class (3 periods) at my school. I have a macbook pro (mine) and a 20in imac (schools). I wanted to use the preference pane teleport to use both the pro and the imac with the same keyboard and mouse. I installed the pref pane on my pro fine. But the school has the "other" section of system preferences grayed out/blocked. I can install teleport but it's grayed out and I can't click it. Is there anyway to get around this? I seriously need this to complete my setup. Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Well, the reason that would be is because they don't want you installing Preference Panes (and other software) on that computer! It's locked, and since you're obviously not the admin (or it wouldn't be locked) there's nothing we can do to help you. You can talk to the admin and see if they'll authorize it, but otherwise you're out of luck.

jW

3. Mr. Funsocks thread starter macrumors regular

Is there no way to get around it without the admin?

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Short of being an admin, or getting an admin to help you, I suspect you're SOL.

5. Mr. Funsocks thread starter macrumors regular

Damn. Thanks anyway guys. I'm looking into this synergy thing now. Hopefully it works for me.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What's your problem with talking to the admin. There's a reason why they don't want you messing with their computers.

7. Mr. Funsocks thread starter macrumors regular

I would but the admin isn't here. The security was set up by an outside company the teacher has no control over it. I already asked her. She told me to find a way around it. Hence why I'm here, asking all of you.