help with previously owned mac...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Greg173, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Greg173 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, this is my first Mac and I just have a quick question. I Bought this mac yesterday from someone. It is a 4 month old white macbook. Well the problem is that it still says that it is his macbook. Is there a way to change the name on the computer? I want it to say Greg's MacBook... Not Toms lol TIA

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If it were me and mine with this task, I would revert the system to the condition that it was when it was brand new. Is that a possibility? You would need the 2 restore disks that came with the MacBook. The operation would entail losing all of the information that is on the drive right now. You would be able to copy anything that you have done so far off to a separate disk temporarily and then put it back. Once you restore the original system, you can name it at will (or greg).

What say? If you want to go for it, pop in disk 1 and follow the instructions to erase and install... it's that easy. -GDF

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I would insert the install disks and do a complete reinstall, however if you do not want to do that and you just want to change the computer name, then go to System Preferences -> Sharing.

4. Greg173 thread starter macrumors newbie

But here is the dilemma, Will i lose ilife 09? Because I really need these. And when my friend cleaned out his mbp ilife was deleted and it wasnt on his restore disk... hopefully someone can clear this up.

5. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

if you have both disks you'll be fine one should say install and the other apps if you have the one with apps you'll be fine

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

iLife '09 should be on the MacBooks's restore disks. Were they included in your purchase? The disks are split between Mac OS - disk 1 and included software - disk 2. For more information, see your manual that should have come with your purchase as well. If you didn't get the manual, it may be viewed Here

Any more questions - post back.