Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuart.Mackie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Alright,
i have a destop pc running windows xp and a macbook running leopard.
i want to be able to print from my macbook to the printer connected to the desktop pc wirelessly.
anyone know how to do it?

Stuart.Mackie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Canada
or does anyone know any links to sites that can show me how, i have been looking but not alot of them are very helpful, im hoping for a step by step guide

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
UK
I am trying to get my PC to see my Mac and my Mac to see my PC on a network, have you been able to do this? if so tell me how I can do it then we could work together on the printing side.

Bloody PC's don't want to cooperate.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Buy a cheap wireless printer server and have your printer independently on your wireless network so you don't have to dick around with Windows printer sharing.

It'll also mean that you could print with your Windows machine turned off.

Stuart.Mackie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Canada
I am trying to get my PC to see my Mac and my Mac to see my PC on a network, have you been able to do this? if so tell me how I can do it then we could work together on the printing side.

Bloody PC's don't want to cooperate.

Thanks to those who posted the links:

To help you out with the initial connection between the PC and your Mac, you first of all have to have a windows workgroup set up. To do that right click on my computer and you will see the name of it in one of your tabs. you also need the ip adress of both your mac and pc. To add your mac to the windows workgroup you have to enable windows sharing and fle sharing to do this got to system preferences and the sharing folder. From here you need to conect to the workgroup by putting the name of your workgroup in the WINS tab in the Network section of systemm preferences, you also need to put in the ip of your pc. On the pc you also have to set some folders up for sharing, to do this right click and enable sharing. Then finally on the mac in finder, clcik on the go tab in the top menu and select connect to server. Put in the correct info and you should be good.

now the printing problem.

barkway

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Parent Needs Help: Mac & Windows

I have desktop PC running Windows 7
Child has MacbookPro running Mac OS (snow leopard I think).
I've managed to get the two computers to see each other via the network. Here's my problem: I need to be able to SEE and remotely administer things on my child's computer (as responsible parents SHOULD do until kids develop maturity and trustworthy computer habits, & to monitor for perverts). I'm having access issues. For example, when I clicked on his Music folder from my PC, it said I was denied access. I've turned on everything I know in both windows and on the mac to allow read and write file sharing so am not sure why I'm being denied access.
Problem Two: I need to know how to set up a process whereby logs of his chats, and the sites he visits are sent to me on my PC so that I don't have to log on to his Mac to see them. It IS logging those things for me using Mac's Parental Controls, but how do I get those logs sent to me remotely or via email?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.