Help with printing in bento (or do I need filemaker pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maflynn, May 10, 2012.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's the issue, I have a small database that I use to collect my notes for karate. I primarily use it and sync it with my iPad. It works well enough and Bento is a bit restrictive but I can live with what it offers with one exception - printing.

I'm not sure if the screen shots I have attached do any justice to my issue. The first one is FileMaker Pro that I printed to PDF (and its the actual size.)
    [​IMG]

this one is Bento
    [​IMG]

Its way too small, and there does not seem to be a way to alter how bento prints. I've tried creating new forms with a larger font, but it does not help. The printed text is not really readable (with my 40+ old eyes)

I got an offer from FileMaker to buy FileMaker Pro12 for 50% ($149) which is quite a savings but to be honest, it seems over-kill for my needs.

Is there any options that I can try with Bento or is my best bet to buy FMP12?

btw, I tried exporting this to excel (and even access on my work computer) and the formatting is way to messed so those are not viable options.

The need to print is not huge, but its there, I need to be able to review my notes in karate or before a test.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you always trying to print to PDF, or usually to a printer?
    Have you checked for a setting for scaling on your print settings?

(I sure hope this isn't too off-base, as I'd hate to experience those last two printed instructions! :D)

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The pdf generation was just for this post, I want to print and no bento does not have print settings to increase the size

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I was referring to settings in the print dialog box, some of which are independent of which app you're printing from. Perhaps a screen cap of your print dialog box would be helpful?

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I understand but there are no settings in that dialog that affect the print size of the document. There's also in the print dialog box bento specific settings which, i.e., include labels, field markers etc but nothing that alters the print size

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You've probably already seen this, but in case you missed it, perhaps this will help.

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah and I posted this question on the filemaker pro forums as well.

The thing is I am printing from the form and I have adjusted the text size to being larger and the result is what you see there.

In Bento, you don't select the font, but select the size of the font, like small, medium, large etc.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wish I could be more helpful! I guess I get a whack on the neck now!

9. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No problem I appreciate the help. I suspect that I either have to live with this short coming, or upgrade to FMP12. I can get it for a great price but, it does seem like over kill to spend 149 bucks for such a simple need. But it is a need and that's the rub.