Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cannedkoala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hey,

Component cables connect my PS3 to my plasma which supports 576i and 1080i, but not 720p or 1080p. I determined that from the PS3's test where you select which resolutions are compatible (Screen goes gibberish for p signals). I can't actually get the TV to display the type of input that it's receiving.

I'm trying to work out the best way to get the best picture on the tv.

Games like COD4 list on the back of the box that it should output in 720p, 1080i or 1080p so this should be fine as I assume it just selects the highest available resolution. A lot of other games (Uncharted 1/2) however seem to have native resolutions of only 720p. In these cases (because I have deselected 720p) will the PS3 drop the resolution down to 576i, or will it upscale to 1080i?

Should I turn on the PS3 setting for upscaling? I figure it is better if the PS3 upscales to 1080i from 720p, rather than the TV doing it's scaling from 576i to it's native resolution.

The TV panel only has a resolution of 1024x768 so maybe all this doesn't matter? I think I really just need a new TV that has this newfangled HDMI and proper HD resolutions :D

Any help greatly appreciated. It's all a bit confusing.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Hey,

Component cables connect my PS3 to my plasma which supports 576i and 1080i, but not 720p or 1080p. I determined that from the PS3's test where you select which resolutions are compatible (Screen goes gibberish for p signals). I can't actually get the TV to display the type of input that it's receiving.

I'm trying to work out the best way to get the best picture on the tv.

Games like COD4 list on the back of the box that it should output in 720p, 1080i or 1080p so this should be fine as I assume it just selects the highest available resolution. A lot of other games (Uncharted 1/2) however seem to have native resolutions of only 720p. In these cases (because I have deselected 720p) will the PS3 drop the resolution down to 576i, or will it upscale to 1080i?

Should I turn on the PS3 setting for upscaling? I figure it is better if the PS3 upscales to 1080i from 720p, rather than the TV doing it's scaling from 576i to it's native resolution.

The TV panel only has a resolution of 1024x768 so maybe all this doesn't matter? I think I really just need a new TV that has this newfangled HDMI and proper HD resolutions :D

Any help greatly appreciated. It's all a bit confusing.

You will never do 1080p without a HDMI cable, its a restriction since 1080p requires a HDCP handshake. You will also never get upscaled DVD or PS1/2 (if you have PS2 bc support) unless you have a HDMI cable and an HDCP capable display. HDCP is required for upscaling, component cables will not work, only a HDMI cable.

Games will always default to their native resolution unless your display does not support it.

Cannedkoala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Yep I know 1080p is out of the question, but 1080i can still be carried by component cables and my TV does support that.

My display doesn't support 720p which is the native resolution of most games. So my question is what happens then? Does it get scaled to 1080i or down to 576i?

Whatever the PS3 output, my TV has to scale it to 1024x768. So if I turn on the upscaling setting, can i force 1080i output and hence give my TV something better to work with when it does its own scaling?

Cannedkoala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Ok, I found out that the PS3 downscales content on 720p incapable displays, even if the display supports 1080i.

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746282p1.html

It will upscale DVD's but only over HDMI due to HDCP issues or whatever. (if upscaling enabled)

It will upscale ps1/ps2 games to 1080i. (if upscaling enabled)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9722723-1.html

It will upscale ps3 games sometimes if the developer has supported it. Sometimes this has to be forced by disabling 720p, which will be the games native resolution. I don't think this has anything to do with the upscaling setting.

So basically because I can't display 720p, all my games will be downscaled to the next suitable resolution. Except for some games that have explicit support for 1080i.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.