Help with purchase URGENT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeerak.ahmed, Dec 9, 2007.

1. zeerak.ahmed macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I'm from Pakistan and I'm looking to buy a MacBook (white superdrive). But they are expensive here, so im asking my uncle to buy it for me in the US, and he'll send it here in January with a relative.

I know that the slim macbook seems set to be released at macworld expo (although it may turn out to be not so), so I want to know if theres any chance that it will replace the Macbook?

From what specs have been rumored, it seems as if there will be onboard falsh memory and no optical drive. I really cat have a hard drive capacity below 120 GB and an optical drive is rather necessary.

So I want to know if you guys think that the Macbook will be replaced, because I don't want to be stuck with a new machine thats an old model. HELP! and SOON!

lol, Zeerak

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

There isn't going to be a slim Macbook. If anything, it's going to be a 13" MBP. Which means that if you can't afford an MBP now, you're not going to be able to afford the new one in January, because it's definitely going to cost more than the costliest MBs. An aluminum Macbook is not a Macbook anymore--it's an MBP, which means you'll pay MBP prices to get it.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

no the macbook won't be replaced. the so called slimbook will be a pro model with a small flash hd and no optical. if you need a large hd and optical drive and need the computer right now then i would just get the macbook. if you are talking about saving a lot of money, then now is the time to get the macbook

4. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It sounds like your needs exceed any of the rumored portables to be honest. I think your idea to purchase now in the states and have it brought to you in January is best.

6. zeerak.ahmed thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot guys,
    and it's not just about the cost, but the fact that I really won't need a lot of the features of the MBP, such as the graphics card (not much of a gamer, and CS3 isn't that graphics hungry), plus the size of the macbook makes it much easier to lug around.

It's amazing how prices skyrocket outside the US, they really should have some sort of price uniformity,

Thanks Again though.

7. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Yes, for your needs, your money would be better spent on upgrading your RAM to 4GB rather than buying a MacBook Flash or a MacBook Pro. Just don't buy the RAM from Apple.

8. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Get a Macbook, and load it up on RAM from a 3rd party retailer.

Good Luck!

9. Tshapi macrumors regular

The most recent rumor says it will be 1500.

I believe the UP is going to be a NEW LINE, for example MB Nano or mimi or something. because I don't see apple adding these features to the pro line with out giving all the MBP these features. and the MBP NEEDS an optical drive. and the current state of NAND or SSD is way to small for Editors to take advantage of.

I believe There will be three lines.

MB
    MBP
    MB MINI OR NANO OR FLASH OR ULTRA

10. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

They won't replace the MacBook, but if your uncle can wait, I would see what happens... Another aspect of it is if they announce it versus availability.

The regular MacBooks aren't bad though.

11. Matek macrumors 6502a

Heh, It's funny how some people hand out information, when it's all just rumors. Nobody is sure that there is going to be an ultraportable (although there probably will be one) and we know even less about what line it will belong to. It's all a bunch of rumors right now.

So if you are perhaps interested in a product like that, I suggest you wait, official info is just a month away.

12. zeerak.ahmed thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh my uncle can wait alright, it's me who can't. I get it in January or in the summer. Well i guess the macbook nano would not really be worth the wait.

13. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Hmm... the MBP 15 inch MBP isn't that much bigger than a MacBook, because the MBP has a much thinner bezel. Plus it's only 0.17kg heavier, for a lot more machine.