Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patchouli

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Ontario Canada
I am a PC user wanting to purchase a Mac.
I LOVE the look of the iMac, but also the upgradeability of the Mac Pro (that I have read about), and the flexibility of the Mini Mac.
I don't want to spend over $1500.
I am currently just starting to dabble in web design. Other than that I do a lot of admin work where I will have multiple programs and windows and browsers open simultaneously.
For me, speed comes before aesthetics, even though both would be nice!
I've been looking on the Apple Store's 'refurb' section, as well as kijiji and eBay. I want to get at least some time left on an applecare warranty if possible.
I'd rather buy an older speed demon that's upgradable, than a brand new model which will be out of date in 6 months.
Can anyone help me with making a decision on what to purchase or look for?
I've been looking at a 24" iMac 2.66Ghz C2D. It doesn't seem very old, so hopefully it's not too out of date to consider buying?
Then I look at the used Mac Pros, and they're really tempting too.
And I love the mini-ness of the Minis!
Thanks for any guidance here!

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Keep in mind that if you buy the Mac Pro, then you would have to spend some extra money on a display.
The 24'' iMac sounds like a great choice and it's what I had in mind when reading your post.
If you already have a decent display, I would suggest searching for a good quad core MP, and upgrade it little by little in time. I'm guessing the iMac is a low-end early 2009 model, wich supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, as opposed to the MP which will suport 16 or 32 (depending on the configuration). The graphics card upgradeabitlty is a plus too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.