help with purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thirteenth, Dec 9, 2015.

1. thirteenth macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy a new imac 27" 5k, I haven't had a computer in a few years just been using my ipad and its finally time to buy a computer again. I'm going to do some pretty basic task like build a site on go daddy, do some light photo editing with photo shop or lightroom and simple movie edits with imovie so my question is will i notice a difference with the basic 1tg version vs the $400 more 2tb fusion drive.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

You might with the video editing since the 2tb fusion drive has a larger ssd than the 1tb fusion drive.

3. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I agree with Dragoro, that you most likely will see an improvement with the 2TB FusionDrive. However, since you mention it is only light photo- and video editing, I would suggest that you got the cheaper of the two and then instead got an external SSD to do photo- and video editing from. That will be an overall cheaper way to go about it.

However, if it where me I would spend $200 on the base model on the 256GB SSD and then supplement with a 1/2TB external spinning drive for all of your media files.

4. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Thats exactly what I did, MadDane. Well that and 32 gigs of ram.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd definitely go with the 2TB Fusion drive and depending on the final cost of the iMac, you may want to upgrade to higher end model. That is, I was looking at the M390 flavor but adding the 2TB Fusion drive pushed the cost closer to the M395 which comes with a 2TB Fusion drive.