macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
Which machine would I benefit for longevity:

1. Macbook Pro 2018
i9. 32gb ram. 1tb. Vega 16 with 4gb when it comes out

2. iMac Pro
3.0ghz 10 core. 64gb and 1tb

I am planning to purchase both imac pro and macbook pro but not at same time. Kinda leaning towards imac pro because of macbook pro redesign rumor. Thanks

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
In order to provide sound advice, we'll need to know what you'll be using the computer for.

Do you need 32GB, why do you need a vega (other then some hopes of longevity)?
Do you have any mobility needs, i.e., traveling or commuting and needing a computer?

macbook pro redesign rumor.
I don't believe we'll see any redesign in 2018, when will you plan on buying this?

Hjchjc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
In order to provide sound advice, we'll need to know what you'll be using the computer for.

Do you need 32GB, why do you need a vega (other then some hopes of longevity)?
Do you have any mobility needs, i.e., traveling or commuting and needing a computer?

I don't believe we'll see any redesign in 2018, when will you plan on buying this?
I will be using it for photoshop, illustrator, and video editing. Also another factor is for future proofing.

I just overheard that macbook pro is rumored to have redesign sometime in 2019 or 4k display/thinner bazel.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I will be using it for photoshop, illustrator, and video editing. Also another factor is for future proofing.
I can't speak for video editing, but it doesn't sound like you need 32GB of ram. All too often people opt for that, but the apps/computers are moving in a direction where 32GB is going to be a need. It might be needed for video editing, I'm ignorant of the needs and requirements of that.

I just overheard that macbook pro is rumored to have redesign sometime in 2019 or 4k display/thinner bazel.
I thought you were expecting a refresh in 2018, yeah, there's rumors floating around about a possible 2019 redesign.

If you don't need the machine now, the best advise is to hold off and buy it when it is a need.

I also wouldn't buy the iMac Pro, why not wait for that to get a refresh, but that's me.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
Which machine would I benefit for longevity:

1. Macbook Pro 2018
i9. 32gb ram. 1tb. Vega 16 with 4gb when it comes out

2. iMac Pro
3.0ghz 10 core. 64gb and 1tb

I am planning to purchase both imac pro and macbook pro but not at same time. Kinda leaning towards imac pro because of macbook pro redesign rumor. Thanks
I wouldn't get the i9, keep it i7 if going option 1.

I also wouldn't count on a redesign until 2020 at the earliest, might even be later.