Help with Quick Time Player on macbook pro 13...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iLoveMacPro, Oct 11, 2009.

1. iLoveMacPro macrumors member

I try to play a movie on macbook pro 13 but there is no sound. I dont know why. Please help....

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Do you get audio if you download one of Apple's trailers? If so, then the issue is likely your file.

3. iLoveMacPro thread starter macrumors member

There is nothing wrong with the file as i was able to play it on my desktop. I just cant play it with quick time in my macbook pro

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

But do Apple trailers have audio on your MBP? Do you have the same Quicktime codecs installed on your desktop and MBP?

5. iLoveMacPro thread starter macrumors member

there is sound if i play one of the apple trailer yes....
    i used CCCP on window to play the file and there iss sound.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It sounds like a codec issue then. Can you tell us what the audio codec and bit rate are for the file that's giving you problems? TSmuxer should provide this info.

Also, try opening the file in Plex to see if it has audio. It uses ffmpeg, which is the most codec-rich software for Macs.

7. iLoveMacPro thread starter macrumors member

I had use PLex before to play that file. It was good. There was sound but i did not like the fact that i can move the time stream so remove it. Then i tried quick time and no sound.

I was thinking of install Perian. Should i install?

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you need to use Quicktime then Perian is your best bet (but still may not play - you just have to try it). There's also VLC and MPlayer Extended. Quicktime is pretty much junk when it comes to compatibility.

9. iLoveMacPro thread starter macrumors member

I installed Perian and try other movie as well. The sound is fine for other movie. Only one file that i tried to play and we talk about is no sound. It is HD file.

Thanks for your help up until now

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Give VLC or MPlayer Extended a try. They're both free and have pretty good codec support. Quicktime just isn't that great.

11. iLoveMacPro thread starter macrumors member

What is VLC Extended???

When i tried to download VLC there is this thing Universal Binary (41MB), 32 bits Package for Intel-based Macs (18.8MB) and 64 bits Package for Intel-based Macs (18.8MB). What are these thing means???? Which one is good to download and what version is good to use???

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd like to know what VLC Extended is too.

As for your second question, it depends on which kind of Mac you have, and which version of the Mac OS you're running. If your Mac has a Core 2 Duo or newer processor inside and is running Leopard or Snow Leopard, it is able to run the 64-bit Intel Mac build. If it is Intel but older than Core 2 Duo, get the 32-bit Intel Mac build. If your Mac is NOT running Leopard or Snow Leopard, AND is not Intel, you'll want the Universal Binary build.

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I didn't say VLC Extended. I said VLC or MPlayer Extended. Two different apps.

Either will work. The universal works on both PPC or Intel Macs as a 32 bit application, while the 64-bit app is only for Intel Macs. Personally, I'd use the 64-bit app.

OP has a 13" MBP. It is C2D and has either Leo or SL on it.

14. iLoveMacPro thread starter macrumors member

Ohhh I see. I have a 13 Macbook Pro. I think the 64 should work so yea.

Thank you for your time and help me.