Help With RAM Installation

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
274
0
Hey I was just wondering how what the difficulty level on installing your own ram in a iBook G4.

Can anyone give me an idea on how much work/what work is required for installing RAM into this laptop.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,698
1,186
New Zealand
I've done it on a G3 and it was easy.

Remove battery - 30 seconds
Remove keyboard - 10 seconds
Unscrew protector - 30 seconds
Insert memory - 2 minutes
Reinstall protector - 1 minute
Reinsert keyboard - 15 seconds

Total time taken: 4 minutes, 25 seconds :)

I believe the user's guide gives you illustrated instructions.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to put the battery back in. Add another 30 seconds :p
 

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
274
0
Also...is third part RAM (from Crucial.com, Ramseeker.com, etc) just as good as apple brand.

Is it as fast, as reliable (and anything of that nature)
 

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
988
0
Northern California
Theman2290 said:
Also...is third part RAM (from Crucial.com, Ramseeker.com, etc) just as good as apple brand.

Is it as fast, as reliable (and anything of that nature)
Defintely. For sure get thrid party RAM. There won't be any difference. Just make sure that it is guaranteed to be compatible with Mac, as Macs are very picky when it comes to RAM.
 

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
274
0
As you can probably tell, I am new to Macs and I have many questions. Im looking to switch with a 12" iBook (whenever they update) and I appreciate all the help you've given.

These answers have cleared up a lot of questions. Thanks
 

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
875
2
UK
Very easy to install ram in an iBook G4. Its worth have a couple of soft cloths to rest the machine and keyboard on while you do the installation.
see the link at the bottom (sorry - gave the wrong link earlier).

You won't go far wrong if you order from Crucial, though you might be able to save a bit by hunting round. Search these forums for recent posts by CanadaRAM - he is always dishing out good advice on all ram-related topics and he knows what he's talking about.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300406 - page contains links to a pdf file
 

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
274
0
In the instruction, it says you need to take out a "memory card" and insert the new one. When you take out the memory card that is already in there, are you taking out the standard 256mb that comes with the computer?

Or, if you only have the standard RAM, will that slot be empty?


Thanks
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The iBook G4 has 256 Mb soldered on the motherboard and a single socket for a DDR SODIMM. If your machine is currently 256 Mb, then the socket will be empty. You can go up to a max. of 1.25 Gb with a single 1 Gb SODIMM.

Standard advice: order your RAM froim a reputable seller who tests and guarantees Mac compatibility with your model, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
 

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
274
0
Thanks Canada Ram you and everyone else have been very helpful
 

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
493
0
I bought ram from a reputable online dealer, got 2 1gb sticks. They are Samsung. It is so hot where they are. Hotter than the battery area. Is this normal?

CanadaRAM said:
The iBook G4 has 256 Mb soldered on the motherboard and a single socket for a DDR SODIMM. If your machine is currently 256 Mb, then the socket will be empty. You can go up to a max. of 1.25 Gb with a single 1 Gb SODIMM.

Standard advice: order your RAM froim a reputable seller who tests and guarantees Mac compatibility with your model, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Advance The Man said:
I bought ram from a reputable online dealer, got 2 1gb sticks. They are Samsung. It is so hot where they are. Hotter than the battery area. Is this normal?
All RAM generates heat. More memory = more transistors = more heat.

Now are the particular temps on your particular model 'book higher than normal for a 2 Gb? I haven't got a clue.

If you have a meat thermometer or a coffee-steamer thermometer, measure the temperature and call the vendor and ask.