Help With Recovering And Updating IPhone 5 Please

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hitherehi, Aug 30, 2013.

1. hitherehi macrumors newbie

I bought an IPhone 5 and wanted to restore it. I did the thing where you hold down the power button and home button for ten seconds, and then the home button until you get the recovery mode message on itunes. I then procedded to restore to factory settings. It said I had to update, but the update was huge so I stopped it and ejected the IPhone 5. I thought it would be recovered but just not updated. Tried to turn on the phone, but it's black. So googled it and held the home button while plugging it back into my computer. Got the message from I Tunes that it needs to be restored and updated so started to do that again.

It was downloading the update fine, but sometimes my computer kind of loses connection from the USB IPhone and now it told me there is an error and stopped downloading the update. Is there anyway I can download the update without my phone being plugged into ITunes, then restore it and install that update when it's done? I feel like I broke my phone :(

2. Jamieyasa macrumors newbie

When theres a new update to iOS and you connect your iPhone which has a previous version to what is now available, it asks you if you want to download and update or whether you just want to download. If you just download you can update it later, I don't think you need the iPhone to be plugged in once it starts downloading. What i'm saying is to play around and see, maybe you could find an option to just download.

3. hitherehi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I was able to get my phone off of DFU mode and now I'm just downloading the upgrade on ITunes. I keep getting a network connection error though :( I have really slow internet so maybe that's the problem. It was saying it will take 8 hours to download the update.