Help with reinstalling Mac OSx after HD replace!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyjets19, Jul 6, 2009.

1. nyjets19 macrumors newbie

I've replaced my hard drive (im on a diff laptop right now), but how do I then install the MacOsx ?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Insert your Mac OS X disc and then power on the computer, once your hear the "bong" sound hold down the "c" key until it presents you with the Mac OS X language selection screen. From there it is pretty straightforward to install the OS :)

3. nyjets19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there some sort of hard disk calibration i need to do? When it asks where I want to install Mac OS x im not getting anything

4. nyjets19 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Go to the Utilities menu and open Disk Utility. Your drive should show up on the left. Click it and hit Erase then format with HFS+, journaling doesn't really matter. Format.

Then try your install.

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

What they said ^

Just boot from the CD, When it boots select erase as HFS+ and then go through the steps for installation. It should take around 20 minutes.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Load the OS X DVD as already said, and open Disk Utility. If this is a brand new drive you installed, most likely it has no partition scheme, so you will need to set a partition scheme before you can format it. To do this, follow the directions after opening Disk Utility:
    [​IMG]

After you complete the these steps, you can close Disk Utility and continue installing OS X.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

^^^ wow alphaod went through a lot of work there. you are always so helpful. this image should be saved and labeled as a sticky.

9. nyjets19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone so much. I'm a first time Mac user with little knowledge of the OS besides basic functions so I was really stuck. Now I am happily running my laptop with 4 Gb RAM and a 500Gb HD! Thanks, and happy Mac-ing!

10. Pegasus665 macrumors member

Pegasus665

Just want to also say thanks will come in useful when I come to do the same.