Help with Removing Partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by epmatsw, Nov 28, 2007.

1. epmatsw macrumors member

Ok, so I made a small partition on my internal drive using the boot camp assistant so that I could test out time machine, see if I liked it, you know. Anyway, my computer has slowed way down, and I just don't think that Time Machine will be worth the hd space, so I decided to remove the partition. Only problem is, I don't know how. Boot Camp can't remove it, and I don't know enough about Disk Utility to merge it with my main drive. Any suggestions?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

first, time machine creates only a folder. it does not need a partition asumming you have an external

just go to disk util and select the partition created and hit the minus button.

why did you use the bootcamp one anyway to create the partition? just curious as disk util can create partitions easily

thinking about it, since you made it in bootcamp, just run bootcamp assistant again(in utilities folder) and delete the partition you created.

3. epmatsw thread starter macrumors member

It was going to be a boot camp partition, but I decided to test out time machine with it, cause I don't have an external (yet). I don't see the minus button in disk utility though, should I erase the partition?

Edit: Never mind, I'm stupid.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

take it you figured it out?

5. nataliaperez macrumors newbie

same problem

hi!
    i just have the exact same problem and dont know how to get rid of the partition. please tell me how you figured it out, because apparently im more stupid. thanks!

6. amarmitra macrumors newbie

I had the same problem as well. I just made a switch to Mac from PC. It took me forever to figure out that I had to select the PARENT DISC on Disk Utility to be able to make any changes. I kept selecting the partitions and nothing would happen.:p

7. aktor87 macrumors newbie

finally figured it out

yeah. truth is, we just didn't look hard enough. I had this problem for a while.

in disk utility, on the left side, you can see both your hard drives, the parition you want and the one you don't, but you can also see the whole hard drive it self. Click THAT one, click partition, select the empty partition, then the minus sign then pull the page tab to give the full partition the rest of your memory.

geez, that was harder for me than it should be. gotta go get checked...