Help with replacement hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whatevs22, Mar 19, 2011.

1. whatevs22 macrumors newbie

The hard drive on my MBP stopped working recently and I need to replace it. I am not terribly good with computers, and just want to know if this hard drive will work in my computer:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=dcc6fe2219e570fe897ed8a2dec4192cen02

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I bought this comp in May 2010, right before the launch of the new model in june.

Thanks so much for any help!!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. whatevs22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thank you!

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

For not knowing a lot about computers, you made a good decision going with a WD Scorpio. It will work fine.

5. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Yes, that drive will work quite well with your computer. That being said, if you purchased the computer in May of last year you should still be under warranty, in which case you could have the hard disk replaced at no cost to you.

6. whatevs22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I sort of messed up the hard drive when someone spilled unsweetened tea and it went right up the back of the laptop. The rest of the computer works fine now (and I can run OSX off an external drive to know everything else is ok) but from what I understand the warrentee is void now and apple has sensors inside to look for exposure to liquid

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Right. Your warrantee is now void :(

8. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Yes, in that case your warranty would be void on detection of liquid damage. On that note, I'd recommend running a hardware diagnostic on the computer just to ensure everything else checks out before installing another hard disk to be on the safe side.

9. whatevs22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will do that, thank you!!!

10. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Speaking of your voided warranty: I am not sure if this is true, but maybe something to look into (or perhaps others here will chime in). I think you may be able to get a prorated refund for the rest of your (now unusable) Apple Care. That would help with the hard drive purchase anyway. Glad to hear the rest of your Mac survived :eek:

11. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I believe that applies only for the extended AppleCare coverage and not the first year hardware warranty, although I may be wrong.