Help with replacing self installed iMac SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Makaveli6103, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I installed a 64GB Vertex 2 last year in my 2011 iMac and am replacing it with a 256GB Samsung 830 next week. Currently only my OS lives on the SSD and use the 1TB HDD for data. I changed my home directory so it points to my HDD also. But should I just do a complete reinstall of the OS on the SSD and point my home directory to a new folder on my HDD and move things over? Or use CCC to just mirror my current OS from old SSD to new SSD?? There are other options also but what do you guys recommend? I am leaning towards a new install and new home folder on the HDD and moving this over then deleting the old home directory.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If you are not having problems with your current installation, I would probably just clone my existing SSD to the new SSD and be back up and running just where I left off in just a few minutes (other than the hardware installation time). Keep it simple!

If your intent is to move your user folder back to the larger SSD for speed, you can easily do that at any time with a simple drag-and-drop and then change the link pointer as you did when you moved your home over to the hard disk.

-howard

3. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am having troubles with JavaScript and cannot figure out what I wrong. That is one reason to install a new OS.