Help with resolution issue mini-dvi to vga

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xekemon, Sep 11, 2011.

1. xekemon macrumors newbie

Hi, I use my 13" macbook 1,1 connected to an external monitor when I'm at home. The macbook is closed and I connect an external keyboard and mouse. I'm running the latest version of snow leopard and it's been working fine up until a few days ago.

What happened is this: when I wake my macbook, the screen resolution is in the standard macbook resolution. It looks horrible on my monitor which is an Acer AL2216W. No matter what I do, I cannot get the native resolution listed under System Preferences | displays, so I cannot get a better resolution.

Before, if I had any resolution issue upon waking, I just had to click 'detect displays' under System Preferences | displays. It would then display Acer AL2216W at the top of the displays dialog box and put it in the correct resolution (1680x1050 at 60 Hz).

Now, for whatever reason, when I click detect displays it does not change from the default resolutions for the native macbook display. It always just says "display" at the top of the Display dialog box just like when the macbook is not connected to the monitor and I am using the native display.

Trying to figure out someway to force the native resolution when using the external monitor. I use my macbook in this mode far more often than the native display and without the proper resolution, it looks horrible and is giving me headaches making it very difficult to work.

I don't necessarily have to get System Preferences | Display to recognize my monitor, I just want the resolution to be 1680x1050 at 60Hz so I can keep working on the external monitor when I'm at home.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Try resetting the PRAM. It does actually store display resolutions and information.