Help with restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mbs4298, Jan 17, 2012.

1. mbs4298 macrumors newbie

I searched through several threads but couldn't find anything that helped me.

I have an iPhone 4.
    I have been jailbroken on 4.2.8 for a while and tried to update to 5.0.1 tonight. When it tried to reboot into 5.0.1 I got an error message and now all I have is the connect to iTunes screen. It comes up in iTunes saying it is in recovery mode but it won't restore. Just hitting restore doesn't work. I hit option and restore and tried to direct it to the original ipsw file for 4.2.8 I had when I first did the Jailbreak but I keep getting different error codes.

Any ideas?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Put your phone into DFU mode, Itunes will inform you that it is in recovery and need to restore, hit okay, the restore.

Again, make sure your phone is in DFU mode first and your restore will go through.

3. mbs4298 thread starter macrumors newbie

Once it's connected to iTunes it says it's in recovery mode. But I tried to get into DFU anyway and then restore but it still shows an error code. I have gotten error 1600, 1, 21 and another one I think. It will got through the extraction process and look like it's working but pops up an error at the end.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

download Ireb or redsn0w to help you to put your phone into Pwnage DFU mode.

5. mbs4298 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the newest version of redsn0w. I was going to use it to re-jailbreak with 5.0.1 once I have it in DFU mode with redsn0w do I need to quit it and then restore in iTunes. I am also downloading the 5.0.1 ipsw file. Would pointing iTunes to this work when I restore?

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Try to use redsn0w to fix recovery or jailbreak it to see if it works. If not, then put it into pwnage DFU and restore with Itunes.

7. mbs4298 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just ran redsn0w again and it looks like it's jailbreaking and doing what it is supposed to. Any ideas on why it wouldn't update to the new iOS 5.0.1? I don't have to do it as long as the phone gets up and running. But would like to try the new iOS out and the new SIRI hack. I friend who was on the same iOS and did the same JailBreak as me updated and did the new jailbreak with no trouble.