Help with restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeblow7777, Oct 10, 2017.

1. joeblow7777, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Long story short: I received my new 8 plus today and the vast majority of my apps are “loading” with a partly filled or not filled circle.

Yes, I am on a very strong and reliable network, and most apps seem to be making no progress after hours of waiting. If all else fails I'll leave it over night at see what happens, but again, I'm on a reliable high speed broadband network and it seems like little progress has been made in the last 3 hours! Thoughts?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    Updates for the apps that have successfully installed just keep spinning too.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Not much info in your question. How many apps? Hundreds? Downloading all purchased apps from app store? 32 bit apps will not install. Force close the app and try a few apps at a time. It's possible it could take a few hours.

Edit: looks like you added some more info. Try a few apps at a time.

3. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

142 apps to be exact. All apps are from the app store. I'm restoring from another device that was on iOS 11 so I would think that all the apps are compatible with the OS. Even the apps that I set as priorities seem to be making little to no progress, and it's already been over 3 hours.

Maybe I just need to keep waiting, but this seems way too slow to be normal...

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

I recently restored about 20 apps and it took about an hour. Just wait it out..
    Note that some of the apps may have come from older devices (my case) and they will not download.
    Also maybe take out about 100 of the unused apps. :)

5. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Yeah, this might be a good time to trim the fat, so to speak. Thanks for your advice!

6. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Still no noticeable progress. Going to bed now and will report back in the morning.

7. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Why don’t you try just downloading maybe five or 10 apps and see what happens. Then do it again. That’s a lot darn apps.

8. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Update: I woke up bright and early this morning (who can sleep when they're worried about their new phone? :p) and found that even after 5 more hours and having paused most of the downloads in order to allow at least some to finish, almost no progress had been made.

So, I decided to start from scratch. I cleared the phone and did the set up and restore all over again. Less than an hour later, it's made significantly more progress restoring apps than it did all of last night. In fact, it looks like they will all be finished very soon. Clearly something was wrong before but it seems to be all good now! Case closed.

:)