Help with restoring an iPad 3 to trade it

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidinva, Jul 12, 2014.

1. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I want to restore my iPad 3 to factory settings to trade it in. The "erase ..." function does not work because the iPad was originally set up using an Apple ID using Verizon. (MyUserName@verIzon.net) I switched from Verizon to Comcast and my Apple ID now uses Comcast as part of the ID. (MyUserName@comcast.net). When I go to "erase ...", I am asked for my password which does not work as I no longer have a a Verizon internet account or email. I can restore using my Comcast Apple ID, but the Verizon information comes back. Apple support has not been helpful. Thanks.

2. davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have tried logging into the old Apple ID and it asks for my password. Password does not work. I tried the "forget your password" and it apparently sends the instructions to my old Verizon email (which has been closed.) No way to change the email I want it sent to. If I try the reset by answering a security question (my birthdate), it says my birthday is not correct.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you enabled the find my iPad feature then I believe the email will be necessary as Apple will send a message to the email in your account stating you have disabled find my iPad. Can you get your old email back? You may need to call Apple support and explain the situation to them, maybe they can help you out.

4. davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spent an hour with Apple support and they stuck with the idea of sending the link to reset my password to my old email. I don't know how to get access to my old email with Verizon. I assume that Apple thinks that I am not the owner of the iPad.

5. davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

I contacted Verizon and they said all of my old emails with them are gone and that I would have to establish a new account and there would be no guarantee that I could use my old email address.

I have read several threads on this topic and all goes in circles. Apparently, I could change my password for the Verizon Apple ID if Apple would send the link/instructions to my Comcast email. That can't be done online and Apple phone support apparently doesn't understand the problem. My Verizon account is closed and I use all of my Apple products with my Comcast Apple ID.

----------

I fixed the problem with my security questions, but still no go. I can't change my email address from Verizon to Comcast.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Your Apple ID doesn't change just because your email changes.
    Are you saying you forgot the password for your Apple ID?
    If not then just login to your Apple ID https://www.apple.com/support/appleid/ and update your e-mail.
    if you did forget your password then you're out of luck.
    You will not be able to reset it online without access to the original email and if Apple telephone support can't verify your identity then they're not going to help you either.
    If you still have the receipt you could take it into an Apple Store and plead your case there.
    Or take one of your old Verizon bills or something with your old Verizon email right on it.