Help with restoring Hard drive

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Hello,

I just got an external hard drive, so that i can restore my internal hard drive to it, re format the internal, and then restore my files back from the external to the internal. This is so I can partition my internal to install windows.

I have just 'restored' my files to the external, but all thats in there are a folder called 'applications' and another called 'bin'

Have i backed up all of my files? Can i now reformat my internal harddrive?

Thanks very much guys

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Hello,

I just got an external hard drive, so that i can restore my internal hard drive to it, re format the internal, and then restore my files back from the external to the internal. This is so I can partition my internal to install windows.

I have just 'restored' my files to the external, but all thats in there are a folder called 'applications' and another called 'bin'

Have i backed up all of my files? Can i now reformat my internal harddrive?

Thanks very much guys
It doesn't sound like it worked correctly.

You'll probably want to erase the external again and make sure it's using GUID partition map while you're at it.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
DO NOT REFORMAT

1) Restore is definitely not the correct word here!

2) How are you performing this "restore". Using what software?

I'd recommend using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to create a complete clone of your drive.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
...and make sure it's using GUID partition map while you're at it.
How do I do that?

DO NOT REFORMAT

1) Restore is definitely not the correct word here!

2) How are you performing this "restore". Using what software?

I'd recommend using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to create a complete clone of your drive.
Okay, I used disk utility, as it said in boot camp.

I am downloading carbon copy cloner now. Should I add that this is a new external hard drive, and I just plugged it in and clicked restore. Should I wipe it first or something?