Help with restoring Iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BF473, Sep 9, 2010.

1. BF473 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I wanted to restore my Iphone 3g that was unlocked and jailbroken. I chose the full system restore under the settings and now when I turn on the phone it just shows the apple symbol. I am not sure what I need to do next. Thanks for your help as I am new to these phones and should not have tried this.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What do you mean by “full system restore” under the settings? Did you do an “erase all content?"

3. BF473 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe so as It was under format. I think it said full system restore if I remember correctly. When I boot up the phone it just shows the apple emblem in the middle of the screen and wont do anything else.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you need to put it into dfu mode and restore it that way.

5. BF473 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not want to sound stupid but how do I do that?

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

lol the easiest way is look at aggie's signature above. it says DFU mode. just click on that and it will tell you. its real easy.

7. BF473 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I am going to work on it tonight

8. BF473 thread starter macrumors newbie

I opened up Itunes and attempted DFU. The computer would not reconize the Iphone until I closed Itunes and reopened it. It then said that it could not connect.

9. Snoopyy macrumors newbie

Also, to add to his question, how can I restore an older firmware and not let itunes auto update to 4.1? I don't want the bandband lockout and not being able to jailbreak. I don't have the SHSH already saved and I can't do that anymore according to the program umbrella. says it's too late. Specifically I want to reload 3.1.3 firmware or 4.0.1. Either I am let to believe will update allow me to jailbreak and unlock carriers.

Also to add, I've tried the shift+restore button selecting the downloaded firmware file, but I get errors. TIA.

10. Melzi~T macrumors newbie

thats my problem too!!!