Help with restoring my songs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pegah55, Nov 24, 2008.

1. pegah55 macrumors newbie

pegah55

Hi,

I have a macbook and I just accidently deleted all my songs from my itune folder. :eek: I had a couple of thousands of songs and I would really like to know if there is a way for me to restore them somehow.

I have never setup the time machine before because i never had a backup disk. So I guess I can't use it now..

Please help me and let me know if I can get my songs back :(

Thanks!

2. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Did you empty your trash after you removed the files? If not, you can just restore them from there. If you did empty it and if all the music is on your iPod, you can use a program called Senuti to download them from there.

3. pegah55 thread starter macrumors newbie

pegah55

Unfortunately I did empty my trash. I don't have all the music on my ipod either. I only have a shuffle, not everything fits on it.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    There should be some free or paid for programs that you can download that will try to restore deleted files.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

6. tongteh macrumors 6502

just a little contribution of mine, time machine?? :D

7. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Read the OP's first post; he doesn't use TM because he doesn't have an external HD.

8. eneisch macrumors 6502

This is why my 80GB music collection is saved in three places! Once on my Mac, once in Time Machine on external HDD and once on an external drive hooked up to my now unused PC. I'd seriously cry if I lost all my music.

Good luck in restoring the files. Hopefully you will post back a success story!

9. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

There are lots of softwares out there for recovering deleted files. You'll find them with Google. However, most of these are for Windows. But there must be some for Mac.

However, most of these (particularly the good ones) are not freeware. So get your credit card ready. They do work quite well, and you should be able to recover the files.

Try not to use the computer meanwhile, to minimize your HDD from overwriting the deleted files.

10. pegah55 thread starter macrumors newbie

pegah55

Thanks guys, I'll try to figure out something.. By the way, I know hmai18 referenced me as a "he", I'm a "she" ;)

11. hmai18 macrumors 6502

My apologies. I shouldn't have made the assumption.

12. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I would probably just start re-downloading. In my experience with restoring lost files, it doesn't really work very well and I've always just found my data to be corrupt. Start again and make sure to get an external drive for backup.

Losing music sucks. :(

13. pegah55 thread starter macrumors newbie

pegah55

Yeah that's pretty much what i'm doing now... Redownloading everything :(
    I should have known better but to do such stupid thing..

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Make sure you invest in an External HDD... You can get one fairly cheap and it's a good investment :)