Help with Restoring to Custom iOS 5

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NttDocomo, Oct 15, 2011.

1. NttDocomo macrumors member

Hi I have followed the instructions provided in some of the discussions here to build a custom ipsw, put my phone into Pwned DFU based on RedSn0w instructions, but when trying to restore to the No_BB custom ipsw, iTunes throws this error:

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

I got the ipsw from iClarified. I wonder if there's something wrong with the ipsw or there's a problem with my phone? Any help is appreciated. Thank you very very much :)

2. jdaniel macrumors 65816

could be anything.. download from the direct link avail on redmonpie, re-do make the no-bb ipsw again, make sure ur itunes is updated... then try again

3. NttDocomo thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much, I am already on iTunes 10.5 and have just done a software update on my Lion.

I will download again from Redmontpie and try again.

In the meantime, please let me know if you can think of any other issue. I am wondering if I should try it on a different Mac? Thanks.

4. jdaniel macrumors 65816

if its not too difficult you can try another mac....but I am on a new upgraded lion as well expect I did a clean install.. I did the upgrade bu wasnt happy with how it was working...

U can also try clean reinstall itunes.. meaning u can leave ur itunes folder in the music folder alone but u get rid of all other traces of it in library n whatever else there r like guide online but dont know if its the same for lion.. then once u get rid of all traces of itunes.. u reinstall..that shoud eliminate any potential itunes issues.. i have done it a few times before.. but have not had to resort to that lately. and np

5. polobreaka, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

polobreaka macrumors 6502a

Did you use tiny umbrella before?

If so, close everything but plug your phone to the cpu, open tiny umbrella. Select your phone on the left hand side. Go to advance tab and uncheck 'set host to cydia on exit' (i dont exactly remember what it says cuz im on my phone but its similar to like this). Close tiny umbrella when done.

Open itunes and dfu your phone. Now option restore and select 'no_bb' custom ipsw. It should work now.

It happened to me all last night but i figured out and worked for me.

Let me know if it works for you.

6. youben macrumors newbie

Hi All
    I got the same problem.
    I have an Iphone 3GS. I wanted to update it to IOS 5 and then unlock it. I customize it IPSW using redsnow.
    When trying to restore using Itunes, I got the famous error " this device is not elligible.
    I unchecked that thing in tinyumbrella
    I edited my hosts file. here's Hosts file on my mac

127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost

my Ipphone still on Pwned DFU mode
    what should I do? plrease help

7. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

same here. i've done everything possible the last few days. I still can't figure out a solution to get past that error!

8. psejcf macrumors member

You're out of luck for iOS 5.0 since Apple stopped signing it. Your only upgrade option with a custom IPSW is to iOS 5.0.1.