Help with ringtone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crwmlw, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Crwmlw macrumors regular

Crwmlw

Afternoon all. I created a ringtone from an mp3 like I always have done before, I create the m4r file, double click it and it adds it to itunes, it plays and when I sync it to the iphone the tone shows up under iphone-tones but doesnt appear anywhere on the phone even though its showing up in the tones folder under iphone? Any ideas? Using Windows 7 and Itunes 12.5

2. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

How long is the ringtone duration-wise? From memory, Apple limit the duration to something like 40 seconds. Any longer than that and it may cause issues.

3. Crwmlw thread starter macrumors regular

Crwmlw

22 seconds
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2016 ---
    Its weird, been doing it this way for a while, its not until i got the iphone 7 plus and updated to itunes 12.5 that im having this problem.

4. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Does sound odd, can't think of anything you are particularly doing wrong.

I hadn't made any tones for quite a while, but did a couple for my son's 5C at the weekend. Basically did exactly as you have described and worked fine.

Can you try with another known good ringtone to see if that syncs across ok?

5. Crwmlw thread starter macrumors regular

Crwmlw

I can try to create another one and see. Thanks

6. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Happy to email you one of mine that I know works ok if you like.

I do however accept that you may not wish to PM your email address to some random stranger on t'internet. :)

7. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I think I've had this issue before. There are a couple steps you can try.

1. Restart your iPhone.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. Unsync all tones from your device. Apply changes and verify that tones have been removed from your phone. Then resync all tones to see if the new tone has been added.

I'm pretty sure that last step is what did it for me ages ago.

8. smarcotte macrumors member

Regarding the ringtone not showing up, have you deleted the AAC clip used to create the ringtone? I had the same issue and once I deleted the AAC clip it worked.
    Good luck.

9. Crwmlw thread starter macrumors regular

Crwmlw

I did the restart of the phone and pc, also deleted the aac clip. I'm lost

10. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

It would be a starter for 10 if you knew for sure that the issue lay with your tone. Can you perhaps get somebody else to try syncing one of your custom tones onto their handset?

How are you converting the MP3 file to m4r? If you are using an online conversion site, can you try another one?

11. Crwmlw thread starter macrumors regular

Crwmlw

I'm actually just changing the extension to m4r in windows explorer like I've always done, kind of hard for me to try that tone on someone else's phone. I make the MP3 into an aac file, drag that to desktop then rename the extension to.m4r, I then double click it and it automatically puts in in iTunes.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2016 ---
    I'm not sure if iTunes isn't allowing me to do it with 12.5 or the iPhone. I can't see that, been a while since I made a ringtone so I have to be doing something wrong :(

12. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I did mine slightly differently.

Got the MP3 I wanted, then used Audacity to trim it down to the exact 30 seconds or so I wanted. If you haven't used Audacity before, it's an excellent free tool for the likes of this. (You used to also have to grab the LAME encoder for outputing files as MP3, not sure if you still need to do this...)

http://www.audacityteam.org/

I then uploaded the trimmed MP3 file to the following website/converter, and obviously chose the output to be m4r:

http://online-audio-converter.com/

Then double clicked the downloaded m4r file to open it, which added it to itunes, and it happily synced across to my phone after that.

13. Crwmlw thread starter macrumors regular

Crwmlw

Thanks, Ill have to try that. Ill let you know

14. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

You ever get this sorted out fella?

15. Zaino macrumors regular

Zaino

I have the same problem. Itunes dosen't want to add my tones on my Iphone 7. Why? I followed all the steps...

16. Crwmlw thread starter macrumors regular

Crwmlw

Just the other day I did, turns out some of the tones would not transfer even though they played in the itunes player which I never had happen before.

17. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Just for reference, the tones I made through GarageBand on an iMac transferred through iTunes with no issues.

18. raymanster macrumors 6502

raymanster

I just came across this issue, turns out when I went into my main iTunes window, clicked on the Tones dropdown, a lot of the ring tones had an exclamation next to them. Click on the exclamation and iTunes says it can't find the file so let's you locate it.

Turns out I had migrated a lot of my data a while back and iTunes lost track of the ring tones location. Even though it still was in the iTunes folder (but in a different drive).