Help with ringtone

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Afternoon all. I created a ringtone from an mp3 like I always have done before, I create the m4r file, double click it and it adds it to itunes, it plays and when I sync it to the iphone the tone shows up under iphone-tones but doesnt appear anywhere on the phone even though its showing up in the tones folder under iphone? Any ideas? Using Windows 7 and Itunes 12.5

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
How long is the ringtone duration-wise? From memory, Apple limit the duration to something like 40 seconds. Any longer than that and it may cause issues.

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
How long is the ringtone duration-wise? From memory, Apple limit the duration to something like 40 seconds. Any longer than that and it may cause issues.
22 seconds
[doublepost=1474913378][/doublepost]Its weird, been doing it this way for a while, its not until i got the iphone 7 plus and updated to itunes 12.5 that im having this problem.

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Does sound odd, can't think of anything you are particularly doing wrong.

I hadn't made any tones for quite a while, but did a couple for my son's 5C at the weekend. Basically did exactly as you have described and worked fine.

Can you try with another known good ringtone to see if that syncs across ok?

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Does sound odd, can't think of anything you are particularly doing wrong.

I hadn't made any tones for quite a while, but did a couple for my son's 5C at the weekend. Basically did exactly as you have described and worked fine.

Can you try with another known good ringtone to see if that syncs across ok?
I can try to create another one and see. Thanks

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I can try to create another one and see. Thanks
Happy to email you one of mine that I know works ok if you like.

I do however accept that you may not wish to PM your email address to some random stranger on t'internet. :)

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Ohio
I think I've had this issue before. There are a couple steps you can try.

1. Restart your iPhone.
2. Restart your computer.
3. Unsync all tones from your device. Apply changes and verify that tones have been removed from your phone. Then resync all tones to see if the new tone has been added.

I'm pretty sure that last step is what did it for me ages ago.

smarcotte

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Regarding the ringtone not showing up, have you deleted the AAC clip used to create the ringtone? I had the same issue and once I deleted the AAC clip it worked.
Good luck.

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Regarding the ringtone not showing up, have you deleted the AAC clip used to create the ringtone? I had the same issue and once I deleted the AAC clip it worked.
Good luck.
I did the restart of the phone and pc, also deleted the aac clip. I'm lost

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
It would be a starter for 10 if you knew for sure that the issue lay with your tone. Can you perhaps get somebody else to try syncing one of your custom tones onto their handset?

How are you converting the MP3 file to m4r? If you are using an online conversion site, can you try another one?

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
It would be a starter for 10 if you knew for sure that the issue lay with your tone. Can you perhaps get somebody else to try syncing one of your custom tones onto their handset?

How are you converting the MP3 file to m4r? If you are using an online conversion site, can you try another one?
I'm actually just changing the extension to m4r in windows explorer like I've always done, kind of hard for me to try that tone on someone else's phone. I make the MP3 into an aac file, drag that to desktop then rename the extension to.m4r, I then double click it and it automatically puts in in iTunes.
[doublepost=1474924499][/doublepost]I'm not sure if iTunes isn't allowing me to do it with 12.5 or the iPhone. I can't see that, been a while since I made a ringtone so I have to be doing something wrong :(

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I did mine slightly differently.

Got the MP3 I wanted, then used Audacity to trim it down to the exact 30 seconds or so I wanted. If you haven't used Audacity before, it's an excellent free tool for the likes of this. (You used to also have to grab the LAME encoder for outputing files as MP3, not sure if you still need to do this...)

http://www.audacityteam.org/

I then uploaded the trimmed MP3 file to the following website/converter, and obviously chose the output to be m4r:

http://online-audio-converter.com/

Then double clicked the downloaded m4r file to open it, which added it to itunes, and it happily synced across to my phone after that.

Reactions: Zaino

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
I did mine slightly differently.

Got the MP3 I wanted, then used Audacity to trim it down to the exact 30 seconds or so I wanted. If you haven't used Audacity before, it's an excellent free tool for the likes of this. (You used to also have to grab the LAME encoder for outputing files as MP3, not sure if you still need to do this...)

http://www.audacityteam.org/

I then uploaded the trimmed MP3 file to the following website/converter, and obviously chose the output to be m4r:

http://online-audio-converter.com/

Then double clicked the downloaded m4r file to open it, which added it to itunes, and it happily synced across to my phone after that.
Thanks, Ill have to try that. Ill let you know

Zaino

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2013
I have the same problem. Itunes dosen't want to add my tones on my Iphone 7. Why? I followed all the steps...

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
I just came across this issue, turns out when I went into my main iTunes window, clicked on the Tones dropdown, a lot of the ring tones had an exclamation next to them. Click on the exclamation and iTunes says it can't find the file so let's you locate it.

Turns out I had migrated a lot of my data a while back and iTunes lost track of the ring tones location. Even though it still was in the iTunes folder (but in a different drive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.