Help with ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mejj06, Aug 2, 2010.

1. mejj06 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was looking for some help here. I have created some ringtones (Less than 30 seconds and all are using the .m4r extention). If I try to add them to itunes some of them are showed on my Music section and some of them are not recognized.

I have also discard the files are damaged due to quicktime is able to play them. Does anyone have seen this before? Any suggestion would be appreciated..

thank you for your help.

2. cleggster83 macrumors regular

cleggster83

Try this website it creates them for u. u just move the slider to where u want then u just download and place into itunes http://audiko.net/

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Describe, in exact detail, what you did.

Write it like you're giving a newbie instructions on creating a ringtone.

4. mejj06 thread starter macrumors newbie

creating ringtone

Well

1) choose the song I want to convert to ringtone.
    2) choose the 20 secs segment I wanted to use as ringtone.
    3) create the AAC version for the segment.
    4) look for the ACC file and rename it from m4a to m4r
    5) open the new m4r file with itunes (double click or add to library).

At this point is where either the file is added on my Music or it is not showed at all neither on my music section or ringtone.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Are you starting with an mp3 or something else? I'm not sure if that matters. I usually start with an mp3 that I already pre-edited in audacity. Then I transfer it to itunes.

It doesn't look as though you copied the file to the ringtones folder. After you copy it there, double click on it and see if that works.

6. nelly41 macrumors regular

I usually right click on the edited/cut song file and open it where it shows the file location. then i click and drag it onto my itunes library and it sorts it into the list with ringtones.

7. uanuglyfool macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

try dragging the ACC/m4a from iTunes to the desktop, delete it from itunes, change the extension to m4r and drag it back in to iTunes. Thats how I do it. I also delete the files copied to my desktop since iTunes auto adds files to its library. Hope that helps

8. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

There's a much easier way of getting ringtones. If you're on a Mac, you can buy iToner. I use it and I think it works very nicely. If you don't want to pay for something, you can use GarageBand, which is also nice, because after you're done creating/remixing your ringtone, you click on "Send ringtone to iTunes" and *POOF*, there it is.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The OP's basic version is universal and doesn't require buying specialized software or having a particular computer.
    BTW, I've got a mac and I don't have garage band.