Help with router or hub

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mwi555, Nov 22, 2008.

1. mwi555 macrumors newbie

I really don't know what all I need for something I'm looking at doing. I currently have an airport express but really don't have a need for wifi since my only computer is an iMac. I am looking at getting a new blu-ray player that has an ethernet jack and no wifi. So I am wanting to split my internet connection via wire to my iMac, my Apple TV, and the Blu-Ray player. It's easy to do that wirelessly, but since I cannot choose that, please tell me exactly what I need to get to make this setup work. Of course I know I will be running some wires, but what hardware do I need to split my connection? Thanks for the help.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

google ethernet router. Amazon has a good selection of routers and switches. They cost perhaps $25.

3. abramson1111 macrumors member

Buy a linksys router at a radio shack, or any other electronics store like that... maybe best buy?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You'll need to exchange your Airport Express with a different router. If you still wish to manage a wireless network, you'll need a wireless router with a built-in switch (most consumer routers on the market come in this configuration), or if you wish to run completely wired, you can choose a simple wired router.

In either case, Linksys is a good brand.

PS - A switch/hub alone will be of no use to you.