Help with running any bittorrent client on Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rustyboy, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Rustyboy macrumors newbie

Hi,

Before I start I have to point out that I'm pretty much a novice with laptops/computers, so go easy!

Since changing my isp I have been unable to download anything through any bittorrent client. I've tried Tomato torrent, which gets stuck on the 'getting torrent info' part and Bits on Wheels, which gives me the tracking reply: 'problem communicating with web proxy server;

I'm pretty sure that it's something to do with my network settings. The only problem being that I haven't a clue where to start!

I have a 13" Macbook - pretty standard apart from a few upgrades to RAM and memory

Hopefully one of you nice experts might be able to help me out...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you going through a router? You probably have to forward the ports.

3. gundo macrumors newbie

Im having the same issue with my mac, i was wondering where i could find some good info or a program that will help me with port forwarding, I tried Lighthouse but it wouldn't recognize my router.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your router is probably accessible without special software. Type your router address into a browser and see if a login screen pops up.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...for port forwarding the best place for info is of course http://www.portforward.com/ - it's got pretty detailed instructions for just about every router config out there...oh yeah!

6. Rustyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much guys - I especially enjoyed the duff man style reply! Yes, my connection is through a wireless router - I'll have a look at your suggestions and report back

7. Rustyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Still got problems...

I visited the portforwarding website and followed their brilliantly detailed instructions. But, I've come up against a problem. I need the DNS server numbers to set up a static ip. I contacted my isp (virgin) for these but they said they couldn't give me them because my ip is dynamic and the dns numbers will keep changing.

Is there any way around this? Or is their any other potential solution beyond trying to forward the ports?

Any help will be very appreciated.