Help with running processes - Activity Manager

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rcanpolat, Jan 25, 2010.

1. rcanpolat macrumors member

rcanpolat

Hey Guys

Right, so when i fire up activity manager i can see a list of all the processes running. Some of them i can force quit and they stay stopped but others when i force quit they start running again.

Whats the mac version of "msconfig" for osx snow leopard?

in windows im able to use msxonfig to select what processes are running. example at the moment i have a native instruments helper processes running that i dont want running. without uninstalling NI i want to just stop the processes running

Any pointers on where i can go to select what processes are running?

When i make a new account on my mac the list is about 1/3 the size of my current users size. I dont want to port all my apps etc to a new user account because everything is pretty much set where it is and im happy. Im just trying to squeeze more juice from my mac

cheers

ross :)

2. robj macrumors regular

You can see what Items boot on start in "System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items".

These are the programs that start when you log in.

One of the helper program that I suppose that you're talking about is the iTunes one, and you can disable it from here.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

there's no msconfig in OSx. If you don't know *NIX, then it's not a bright idea to go around killing running tasks.

4. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

ill try the login items

generally im okay with killing processes, i know generally whats needed and whats not needed to do what i need and you learn by killing the wrong processes when you suddenly lock your system up. anyway like i said ill try the login items - cheers lads