Help with Safari search bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nope7308, Jul 27, 2011.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I would like to customize the top-right default search bar in Safari (Google, Yahoo!, Bing) to search specific websites such as dictionary.com, youtube, etc. I previously used Glims to do this, but Glims no longer works with the new version of Safari. That being said, I found that Glims was buggy even when it did work, so now I'm looking for a permanent alternative.

Essentially, I love the quick search feature, but I want it to search specific websites of my choosing. If possible, I would also like to remove the Yahoo! and Bing search engines (but keep Google). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

No replies thus far, so I thought I should clarify...

In firefox, you have the ability to add your own custom search engines (e.g., via the Mycroft Project). Essentially, I would like to do the same thing in Safari (better OS integration, and I just prefer this browser). I've given up on Firefox.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Just so you don't feel you're being ignored, i'll just say that i'm not sure. Sorry

4. RSA.JULIUS macrumors newbie

5. El Tel macrumors newbie

Saft will do it, used as a Safari launcher (Snow Leopard).

6. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Would someone please explain what Saft is, how it works, and why it is superior to Glims? I checked the website but it appears to be outdated (referencing Macworld 2004 and displays a 2008 copyright notice). If I'm going to install an extension/add-on, I would prefer that it be in active development so it works after Safari updates are installed.

Thanks again!