Help with Safari spinning cursor...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carrerascott, Mar 18, 2009.

1. carrerascott macrumors regular

Lately I've been getting the Beachball spinning cursor on Safari (it happens in both 3.2.1 and 4.beta). It happens very often, basically after every page load, often after I click on a field to enter data or click on a link. It happened just now when I clicked on the field to type the subject of this message.

It's happening only in Safari -- Firefox has no delays, nor do any other apps. I've tried most of the things I've found by searching (complete reinstall of Safari, preferences file repair, etc). But Safari continues to be extremely annoying to use.

I did a search but didn't find much recent. I'm on an iMac7.1 with OS X 10.5.6

Thanks for any help!

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
    SMC Version: 1.21f4

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

2. Open OnyX and Click Cancel on these two Alert Panels:
    -Cancel the S.M.A.R.T. Box
    -Cancel the Startup Volume Box

3. Enter your Password

4. Click on the Cleaning Tab

5. In each tab, execute the command. Check all the boxes in each tab. When its finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs are done. THEN REBOOT.

3. carrerascott thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, tried it, and no different after reboot. :(

Getting to this page I got three instances of the spinning cursor (usually have to wait 3-5 seconds for each one). Quite annoying...

4. sawmaster macrumors regular

Kinda having the same issue here with Safari 4 beta, ive always used safari 4 developer preview. No diff though. But with the new interface, its slow. I dont like the tabs position. I am thinking about down grading.