Help with Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paid4c4, Jun 13, 2011.

1. paid4c4 macrumors newbie

I have a new MBP and use Safari as my browser. I've been trying to check an on line Deferred Comp Account without being able to gain access. I called the Deferred Comp IT Department help line today and was told the site doesn't support Safari. They also told me Safari can be used but takes some settings adjustments but didn't know which settings to change. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Bill:confused:

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

You can also try Firefox and Chrome, both of which work fine on OS X.

3. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

You aren't forced to using only one browser. You can get any other browser and see if it works. As the user above me pointed out, Chrome and Firefox are the best browsers out there, it's a matter of preference.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some sites are like that. For many, you can still get access by switching User Agents in Safari:
    ScreenCap  2011-06-13 at 12.21.00 PM.PNG

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If a site you want to visit does not support Safari, you really are better off using a different browser to go there. Why tweak Safari so it will work on one site and run the risk that it now won't work on several others?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to "tweak it." Just select a different user agent for that site, then switch back when you leave the site. It's just a couple mouse clicks, and much simpler than launching a different browser, assuming you even have another one installed.

7. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

I replaced Safari with Camino, and couldn't be happier with it.

8. Consultant, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can enable develop mode in Safari (under advanced) and change user agent. Note user agent is only changed for that page / tab.
    Or try a different browser.

9. paid4c4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate all the help. I have enabled Develop in Advanced Safari and can change the User Agent. I still can't gain access to my account. I've tried all the agents listed by the website. I did notice that I have to keep re-checking the User Agent as it goes back to "default-automatically chosen."

I haven't tried downloading a new browser which will be my next step. I still game for ideas.
    Thank You;
    Bill

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just download another browser. On a Mac having more apps won't slow you down noticeably (there is no registry).

I got Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera installed for testing.

11. paid4c4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed Firefox and attempted to log in to my account. I did get further but apparently answered one of my security questions incorrectly and got locked out of my account until I call the 800 line, of course they close at 5 PM. I'll try again tomorrow but I do feel positive that Firefox is going to work. I'll post results tomorrow.
    Bill

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I've never heard of that. Maybe it's just a term I'm unfamiliar with describing a concept I'm acquainted with. ???

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

See the image in post #4 for the User Agent submenu on the Develop menu in Safari.

14. paid4c4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Report on Safari Problem

After trying all the User Agents listed in my MBP I decided to download Firefox as the website I'm trying to enter supports Firefox. I had the IT department re-set my security questions and was able to gain entrance to the website and account without any further problems. Thanks for the many good suggestions.
    Bill

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

There you go. That explains it. I don't have a Develop menu. (Safari 5.0.5)

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar