Help with Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vpoms, Jul 24, 2011.

1. vpoms macrumors member

I have 2010 13" MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz, 4 Gb ram. Suddenly I am not able to load certain pages with Safari: When I open Gmail and enter my user name, and go to password field, Safari will beach ball. It happens with a few other pages as well. I reset safari, twice, removed all entries from the autofill section (user names and passwords). I emptied Safari Cache, restarted computer and still not able to load Gmail. Most other pages are working fine and a I am able to browse internet without any problems.

The only change is that I installed a new AirPort Extreme on Friday. I did Google the problem but was not able to find a solution. I have a second 2010 MacBook pro and an iMac, and the other two computers are working properly and are connection to the internet fine. I am able to load Gmail and open all the pages on the other two Macs fine.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. vpoms thread starter macrumors member

I also downloaded and re-installed Safari, restarted the computer. This didn't resolve the problem. I narrowed down the problem to the websites that require user names and passwords to log in (like this website): anytime I enter a first field (like user name), I am not able to navigate to the next field; Safari will beach ball.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It might help someone to suggest a possible fix if you reveal the version of Safari you're talking about, and what your OS X version is. There are incompatible combinations these days.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Run software update and make sure everything is at the latest version

5. vpoms thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everybody for your help

Update:

The same problem (unable to browse websites that require user name and password) happened with Google Chrome. I removed com.Apple.Safari.plist file and other safari Plist files, restarted but problem didn't resolve. I also downloaded and installed Safari, and that didn't help either.

Finally, I re installed OS and everything was back to normal.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Weird, you shouldn't have to reinstall the OS to get rid of safari problems. Not sure why you would have to do that but that stinks that you had to do all that to fix it. :confused: