Help with Samsung LCD TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Brianstorm91, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I'm looking to buy a new Samsung LCD TV to connect to both a Macbook Pro and a PS3. Something around 23" is preferable because I'm on a budget as well as a limit to the space I have. In an ideal world I would purchase an ACD also but I just don't have that kind of money.

I've been comparing a few and would like any help you can offer in making a choice. I'd prefer for it to be HD ready, as I can't afford the full 1080p HD price.

These screens have caught my eye:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE2...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193257696&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE2...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193257696&sr=1-4

But I'm having a problem trying to work out why one TV is £100 cheaper, has anybody hooked both a laptop and a console up to a TV, does it work well?

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Note: I couldn't really find a great topic to put this under, sorry if I missed the correct one!

:apple:

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The first one :

Product Features
    HD Ready, 23inch widescreen format
    1366 x 768 screen resolution
    Built in Freeview Tuner (iDTV)
    4000:1 dynamic contrast
    450 cd/m2 brightness
    HD Ready
    2HDMI
    4000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
    MoviePlus
    Wide Colour Enhancer
    Game Mode
    iDTV
    16:9 Aspect Ratio
    1366x768 Resolution
    Technical Details

Contrast Ratio (X:1): 4000
    DVB-S: No
    DVB-T: Yes
    DVD Player / Recorder: No
    DVI Interface: No
    Electronic Program Guide (EPG): No
    Energy Savings Trust Feature: Yes
    HD Tuner: No
    HD ready: Yes
    HDMI Interface: Yes
    Horizontal Resolution in Pixel: 1366
    Loudspeakers: Yes
    Memory Stick: No
    Number of Scart Interfaces: 2
    PCMCIA Interface: No
    Reflection Angle: 160
    Response Time in ms: 8
    Screen Format: 16:9
    Screen Size in Inches: 23
    Screen Size in cm: 58
    Secure Digital Card: No
    Type of Monitor: LCD
    USB: No
    Vertical Resolution in Pixel: 768
    YUV Interface: Yes

----------------

The second one :

Product Features
    Contrast Ratio (X:1): 2000
    Frequency: 50 Hertz
    HD ready: Yes
    HDMI Interface: Yes
    Horizontal Resolution in Pixel: 1366
    Loudspeakers: Yes
    Number of Scart Interfaces: 2
    Reflection Angle: 170
    Screen Format: 16:9
    Screen Size in Inches: 23
    Screen Size in cm: 58
    Type of Monitor: LCD
    Vertical Resolution in Pixel: 768
    Technical Details

Picture
    Screen Size: 23
    HD Ready?: Yes
    Panel Type (colour gamut in NTSC): PVA
    Colour Gamut: EBU 100%
    Resolution: 1366x768
    Brightness: 500cd/sq. m
    Dynamic Contrast: 2000:1
    Response Time: 8ms
    Viewing Angle (degrees): 170°/170°
    Backlight: CCFL

3. Brianstorm91 thread starter macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Thanks, I can read but I'm not able to really compare them too well. I know very little about TVs.
    Which would you say is the better choice?

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

I'm assuming the second set of specs is the cheaper one here...I would absolutely go with the first one. All other things equal, you always want a higher contrast ratio.

Also, just from the specs that got posted, it looks like the second one only has one HDMI port. Bad choice there...HDMI is what pretty much everything is going to now. It allows you to get all your audio and video through one single cable (in other words, no jungle of wires on the back).

One thing to check on those TV's is whether or not their HDMI ports will accept a PC input. My Samsung does not, so thats my only complaint on them. You should be able to find that information on Samsung's support pages.

As far as the 1080P support...don't sweat it. You really can't see a difference between 720P and 1080P below 37". And if you can, you're spending way too much time critiquing your screen and not enough enjoying it ;)

5. Brianstorm91 thread starter macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Thanks jayhawk, would I be able to connect a MBP to the TV via HDMI, should the TV accept it?
    I'm guessing it's one of those £15 adaptors on the Apple Store?

6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Depends on whether or not the TV accepts a PC input through HDMI. If it does, great . You don't even need an adapter. You would need a DVI to HDMI cable. That would go from the DVI out on your Macbook Pro to the HDMI port on the Samsung. Check out www.monoprice.com They usually have the cheapest cables in my experience...don't know about overseas though, so just google that cable

If the TV does NOT support a PC input through HDMI then you're going to have to get a DVI to VGA adapter (check around in your MacBook Pro packaging, mine came with one). Then plug the adapter into your DVI out port on the MacBook Pro, plug a VGA cable into the other end of the adapter and the other end of the VGA cable into the TV's PC input.

UPDATE: I just checked Samsung's website for you.....it looks like that particular model supports PC inputs over HDMI. So go with the DVI to HDMI cable. You'll get a much better picture

7. Brianstorm91 thread starter macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Thanks mate, once I've hooked that up to my laptop and PS3 I'll be one very happy (allbeit very poor) man :D

So, just checking - this would be the cable to buy?

8. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Precisely. Good choice on the TV's, by the way. I worked for Best Buy for a few years up until May, and Samsungs were the most reliable sets we carried. Enjoy!

9. airmax922 macrumors member

I agreed but my father in law has a 40" failed one day before the warranty expired. call for support and the tech said need to replace the whole panel. However, samsung didn't have that in stock. so they said they will upgrade it to another 40". and still waiting!!!

by the way, Samsung got my father in law to pay $2xx for extend warranty

10. Brianstorm91 thread starter macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Thanks, you've been a lot of help - although it's now got me thinking about the blackbook.. I like the coordination thing going, Blackbook, black TV and black PS3.
    Hmm.
    Or black anodised aluminium Macbook Pro :D

Oh, and Samsung also sponsor my beloved Chelsea FC ;)

11. Iggy macrumors regular

12. ArmanSLR macrumors member

I have the 23" samsung but in white, I currently use it for my HDTV, connected to my Macbook, and my Xbox 360. The picture quality in HD for Xbox 360 and my cable provider is amazing but the text on it while using my macbook is bad and hurts your eyes, but thats probably because I have it on overscale right now.

13. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

Not the best options..but hey just buy..they are cheap..:)

14. Brianstorm91 thread starter macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I'm a student, I do cheap :)

15. gootch35 macrumors newbie

what about sound?

So the DVI to HDMI from my macbook pro to my 50 inch samsung DLP LED HDTV is going to be amazing!!! but umm, no sound is transferred through the cables right?

so does that mean if i go from playing on my xbox 360 to playing a game on the computer, ill have to change the sound cords?

if anyone has a suggestion that would make it easy to switch, or that i dont have to switch cables at all, that would be awesome. I may even be completely wrong about no sound through the cable... thanks guys