Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgurpartap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
india
i bought my first mac 2015 13''rmbp about 3 months ago, recently i noticed something very bad that my screen is full of small scratches. These scratches are not at all visible when screen is on nor when the screen is off or even under light, only if i shine a direct light very close to the screen like from the flash of my phone or a flashlight i can see them about 10-15 in number at different places on the screen. also there are some keyboards marks too :(. i have always used a micrifibre cloth to clean the screen with some water only nothing else.
can you guys here who are using rmbp from long time give some tips how to better take care of my screeen?
is it my microfibrecloth which is bad?
i do travel with macbook in my backpack , can that be the reson of getting keyboard marks on screen ?

also i am considering to get iklear cleaning kit for mac, is it any good?

thanks guys

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
How often do you clean your screen? I ask because I've cleaned the screen on my 13" rMBP twice since I bought it in April of last year.

Is there ever debris on the screen that might cause scratches? A microfiber cloth isn't going to cause any damage, but dust or other debris might.

Do you ever place a lot of pressure on the display when your laptop is closed?

sgurpartap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
india
i clean it like twice a month, using a 3m microfibre cloth sometimes with a little water. yea i travel with it so yea it gets dirty.
no i have never put pressure on it intentionally but what i feel like lead to the keyboard marks might be that sometimes my screen was a bit dirty and i have closed the lid and put it in my back where obvioulsy it will toss around a bit in the backpack. but my understanding was the rubber thing around the screen will prevent its contact with the keyboard.
i dont know may be my backpack became tight and put pressure on it like i have books in it too

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
no i have never put pressure on it intentionally but what i feel like lead to the keyboard marks might be that sometimes my screen was a bit dirty and i have closed the lid and put it in my back where obvioulsy it will toss around a bit in the backpack. but my understanding was the rubber thing around the screen will prevent its contact with the keyboard.
i dont know may be my backpack became tight and put pressure on it like i have books in it too

The books in your backpack may have caused it. I'd be careful, the rubber spacer helps keep the display from touching the keyboard for the most part, but the display will flex if pressure is applied.

Reactions: sgurpartap

AGANG

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2015
I have this problem too. I bought a 2015 13" Retina Macbook Pro. I must say the screen is very sensitive for scratches...
If later I wil have more scratches, I would like to buy a new screen into my macbook (when the parts isn't expensive).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I must say the screen is very sensitive for scratches...
It plastic, so its a soft material prone to scratches.

I would like to buy a new screen into my macbook (when the parts isn't expensive).
The display panel assembly is one of the most expensive components of the laptop, unfortunately , I don't think you'll see to much price reductions occurring as time marches on

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Mine is scratched too. I always take care of the display and I've been pretty surprised when I noticed. But as it can't be seen under any "normal" conditions, I don't worry too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.