Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macmel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Hi guys,
I have a MBP 2.4GHz early 2008 with the NVIDIA 8600M GT, the faulty one.
And that's exactly what I think is going on in my computer: the GPU is dying.
So far all the symptoms appear when I wake-up the computer when it's been closed. A few days ago the screen started to blink, but after I introduced my password it went normally to the desktop.
Today, it's already the second time that I see the following: I open the computer, introduce my password and it goes into the desktop but the screen has a very obvious blueish-purple tone. Then I drag the mouse to one of the corners to activate the screensaver and when I come back, everything is OK again.
Every time I go to the corner with the pointer, the screen turns blueish again for a fraction of a second before turning black and activating the screensaver.

Do you think it is the GPU (I don't have any of these scrolling problems people have observed with faulty ones) or something more trivial like a bad conexion in the hinge or something?.
Thank you very much for your help.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Dunno. Why don't you just take it down to an apple store and have the geniuses tell you what it is? It should be under the initial one year warranty. And I'd sure as heck buy applecare for the machine. Good thing this didn't happen in mid-'09.

Macmel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Dunno. Why don't you just take it down to an apple store and have the geniuses tell you what it is? It should be under the initial one year warranty. And I'd sure as heck buy applecare for the machine. Good thing this didn't happen in mid-'09.

Well, I would do that, but the closest Apple store is 4000 miles to the west. I live in France right now.:p
I am not really worried as I have two months left before my warranty expires and I am going to buy Applecare. It's just I want to know if someone else had these symptoms before the card died or it is an unrelated issue
Thanks anywat for the response

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.