Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

af05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Is there any way to view photos saved as a library on my SD card without importing the entire library back into my MacBook? I saved the library, which is over 150gb, and my MacBook doesn’t have enough memory to store the entire library in order to open it. Is there any way to view photos directly on the SD card, or to save a large number of photos without being stored in a library?

Thank you so much for your help.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Hold down Option while you click on the Photos App you should then be able to pick your library from your SD card and open it without needing to import it back to your Mac.

af05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
I get this message when I try to open it from the SD card:
"The library “Photos Library (original)” could not be opened because it is on a read-only volume. Please copy it to a different volume and open that copy."

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
If you can drill into that library and get to the actual jpegs, and if all you want to do is view the photos, I find it’s sometimes simpler to open the photos in Preview. Either way you may want to consider a sizable external, portable drive to move you Photos library to.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Agree with af05.
Get ANOTHER drive (SD card, USB flashdrive, USB external drive, etc.)
Copy the library from the problem SD card to the new drive.
Try opening the library from the new drive.

If that works, I'd try this:
1. Unlock problem SD card
2. ERASE problem SD card.
3. Use Disk Utility to "repair disk" on the SD card. What kind of report do you get?
4. If it's a good report, keep using it.
5. If it won't erase, time to retire it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.